How can I make my toddler get used to other people?

my 2/12 boy is very attached to me, he likes people but it takes him a long time to get used to them, everytime we go to visit friends house, he keeps crying and pulling towards the door. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he will grow out of it...most kids go through phases like that.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Start with always being with him when he meets new people. Have them talk to him a bit or play with them a bit while your next to them. Then maybe leave the room for about 10 minutes and have them play with them. Tell him the people are good people and they won't hurt him just want to play with him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• He needs to be exposed to them more frequently.

Answer by older at 3:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Does he behave the same way when people visit your home? How about on "neutral" territory--like at a restaurant or at the store?
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• it's somehow better, but I wanna make him used to people so I could leave him there (at my friend's house) for a couple of hours when I need to do something.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 4:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son is the same way - he's been exposed to other kids and was in part time daycare center with all kids his same age, he NEVER got used to it , instead he freaked out each morning and started withdrawing socially even more - I had to take him out after trying it for more than 16 months - he is now going to try an in home daycare in hopes that will help now with less kids and them being not ALL his same age. I don't know.. Our PED Thinks he is showing early signs of anxiety which wouldn't be surprising because me and my husband both have anxiety, I just hoped it wouldn't pass to him.. :( I am calling the early intervention program to see what they can offer as suggestions for us - hopefully he will learn tools ( not meds! ) on how to deal with his anxiety earlier than we did so he can make better decisions.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Ha...my daughter is kinda like that. Whenever we go to friends/family or they come over...she suddenly becomes catatonic and just stands there blankly. She warms up after a while. She just turned 2..it's a phase. He'll outgrow it, don't worry.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• thanks,,, I really hope he will.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 5:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010