The kid wont eat healty at all...

My daughter is almost 3 and wont eat anything healthy. The best I can get her to eat is a banana.. and even that is rare. Im not good a cooking so I dont know how to hide veggies.. but I would really like to know how to get her to like them so that she will enjoy healty food when she gets older. Any ideas???

hmdfeather

Asked by hmdfeather at 3:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have these recipe books where you can make healthy food look fun to eat. Like a flower bouquet or a train. I use it with my kids any it works.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I never hide veggies ... hiding them doesn't teach good eating habits. I don't hide what anything is.
    Julita has always been required to have 2 bites of everything on her plate. She's pretty cooperative now, but it used to help to have her garden and cook with me - if she had a part in making it, she'd want to eat it more.

(if all you serve is healthy food, she'll eat healthy food) And the banana is good!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She's 3.

If there are no other options but healthy ones and she gets a little hungry, she'll try. If she's catered to, she won't. Keeping fresh fruits and veggies around, not eating out or doing french fries and ketchup etc...she'll figure it out.

Some things that are more palatable to kids that age might be--celery w/ peanut butter and some raisins (frogs on a log). If you let her help, she may be more interested.

raisins. dried fruit in lieu of cookies or candy (lots of sugar, so limited portions). yogurt. string cheese. citrus fruits aren't necessarily well received--to sour at that age. cucumbers, grapes, etc.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• try "deceptively delicious" its a cookbook that tells you how to hide veggies
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• keep offering~keep cutting up fruits in new ways~Disney has some neat kids cook books~the new one is Princess and the Frog we don't have, but the Magic Cook book gets me and mine eating healthy thing we wouldn't normally~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my DD use to love veggies and good foods, but is now going through the same phase.. (oh and don't feel bad, i'm a horrible cook). So I try substituting things like V8 Fruit fusion with dinner, and making dishes she likes. Like pasta dishes, and cutting up the veggies soooo small she can't even see them.

I also make sure she takes her daily gummie vitamin.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I also always keep out fresh fruits for DD to eat as snacks. She doesn't get junk food snack, only fruits. Like a bowl of grapes, or a bananna, etc.

I know some women will say, well give them only healthy food, and eventually they will eat it.. well, some kids won't. They WILL actually starve themselves first. I went through this with my DD.. she wouldn't eat for two days when I tried that trick. Sorry, I'd rather find other ways than starving my child completely. Besides variety is good, and you have to find ways to make variety work. Obviously pizza and fries every day is bad.. so you have to be creative with the kids to make it work. Forcing them never solves anything at ages 1-3.

Kids need choices, and like some PP say, make it a fun choice for them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Don't keep unhealthy choices in the house. She'll eat healthy if that is her only option.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Applesauce makes everything better! Seriously, if my kids are having trouble adjusting to a new food, I just put it in applesauce. Other things I like to do is take an ice cube tray and fill it with colorful, healthy foods with dips like applesauce and ketchup. They love it because it is fun. Just keep trying, and don't feed anything that you do not want her to think of as a treat instead because you are worried about her not eating. She will not starve. Also, if my kid doesn't eat her dinner, she can't have "dessert" which is usually just fruit.
    squish

Answer by squish at 7:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• oh, another thing, have her help cook something. Even let her choose what ingredients to put in (reasonably). If she wants a cookie, make a rule that you have to make it from scratch, and then make the healthiest cookies that you can find. I have a good recipe if you are interested.

squish

Answer by squish at 7:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010