Okay how can I get my three week old to sleep in her crib or cradle???

I am a new mom and when I frist got home the only way I was getting any sleep was to have her on me or in my bed.. Now I want to transition her to her own space.. I am not all about letting her cry herself to sleep.. So if anyone can help that would be great..

jessb727

Asked by jessb727 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's definitely too young to let her cry it out, or cry alone. I would try getting her to sleep first, and then placing her in her crib after she's fully asleep. Three weeks old is still brand new, so she may need you to help get her to sleep first. Just be persistant. Once she's asleep, move her to her bed, ASAP. It may help to keep her tighty swaddled so she she still feels closeness. Hang in there momma! :)
    MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 4:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's hard when they're still that young, because she'll still be so used to being curled up inside of you. Do you swaddle her before she falls asleep? Keeping her cozy might help. My best advice would be to wait until she is REALLY asleep, like, you could ppick her arm up & it just drops down asleep to put her in her crib. Just keep trying. I bedshare with my daughter & she is almost 8 months - I had never intended to do this, but ya do what ya gotta do to get some sleep!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The baby belongs in her crib. And no, babies that little shouldn't cry themselves to sleep. My daughter had colic so I spent a lot more hours up with her because of it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She just spent nine months inside you warm and cozy. She finds this new world cold and it startles her awake when she's not close to you. Some people use a clock in the bed with babies so they can hear the ticking and think it's your heart. I hear they make toys like that as well. Also when you lie her down you can talk gently to her and let her know you are still there. She will adjust.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's going to take awhile for her to get used to not being cradled in your belly. She just spent nine long months warm, cozy and snuggled. She can't be expected to make a transition so soon. just be patient for a little while. :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks for all of your answer now I don't feel like I mess up and didn't do the right thing.. I will just keep tring..
    jessb727

Comment by jessb727 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• With my two month old he goes into a deep sleep after having a nice feeding, and being swaddled tight. If he's not put down inhis bassinet like that ,he's up 10 minutes later. He'll give me 7 hours with a good deep sleep.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She is still so little, just let her sleep with you and maybe take a snooze here and there in her crib.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Just be patient. You probably won't get her in that cradle any time soon. No big deal. Babies are programmed to be with mom, not separate. Won't hurt her AT ALL. And YES, she WILL learn to sleep on her own when she's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Girl...you're in survival mode right now...if you can get baby to sleep and you can get some sleep, you're doing great. All you can do is transition her to her crib when she falls asleep (make sure you burp thoroughly...nobody emphasizes the importance of burping enough...those bubbles irritate them and it will wake them up - particularly if they're sleeping flat on their backs). Swaddling at this age will probably help - makes her feel like she's being held and there isn't as much of a temperature change from mom's arms to crib. You could also lay a heating pad in the crib on low and remove it right before you lay her down...so she doesn't wake up from the temperature change.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010