My 12 going on 13 yr. old daughter....This past week has been nothing but drama.

Yesterday she lost her key to the house in the grass, so she put holes in the screen & broke into the house. When we found the holes in the screen, she looked at me & said "I didn't do it." Now she's grounded for lying. Today I get a call from the school principal; she got caught texting in class, which she knows is not allowed. So she has detention tomorrow. I realize that the things going on aren't really God awful, but it's making me nuts. She will tell me she didn't do something, when it was CLEAR that she did. I was engaged to a man for 5 years & we lived together for 4, he & my daughter have maintained a relationship. He will come see her & take her out, etc. Lately he's been making plans with her & then breaking them (6-10 times). Which leaves her brokenhearted. I think this is why she’s acting out. I would just like some advice or reassurance that I'm not the only Mom going through 12/13 yr. old girl drama...

Cupcake819

Asked by Cupcake819 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• She could be dealing with the ex fiance thing.. but she is also around the age most girls start their monthly.... talk to her and see whats going on.
    Anonymous

• She's had her monthly for over a year now.

I'm thinking, she's losing her mind cause of hormones LOL! I dunno, like I said this stuff isn't a big deal but, I need to know I'm not the only one going through it...
    Cupcake819

Answer by Cupcake819 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Gee's your Lucky......Mine are 9 & 10 and is Nothing but Drama.....Hormone's are Raging Over Here......And Stand right there and Blame it on the Other One.......Just Thank Mine are 9 , 10 , 13 , 20......Just talk to her , Make sure she Knows You Love Her,,,,Then May the Force Be with You,,,,Sorry but it's gonna Be Awhile before it's Over........
    Brightest oof Blessing's Hon
    P.S.....All except My 9 yr old has Started here
    SuzieQ45

Answer by SuzieQ45 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• its teenage drama, and believe me it only gets harder. i have a 16 yr old dd and an 11 dd and there are days i could just choke them LOL
    wubbunny420

Answer by wubbunny420 at 1:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Well, I am not sold on the idea of teenage drama. I have a teenager and a tween and though they do act funky from time to time with major outbursts, there is still a level of behavior that is unaccpetable and we don't pass it off as okay just because they are teens. Thats what makes WORSE teens. There should be some real consequences for lying. Take anything that is dear to her. My teenager LOVES her cell phone and texting and she about died when I took it for her smartmouth. It worked. I haven't had that same issue again yet. The tween loves her time with my mom. None of that until shes corrected what Ive asked her to do or not do. Also this person who has a relationship with her and is hurting her (your ex?)....stop that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• cont.....He either is going to be a positive role model or hes gonna get out of her life. It might get worse before it gets better, but I agree with you...I think thats the culprit. You have to protect her because it sounds like shes getting hurt. If he chooses to not have a relationship with her, then she will heal, but she can't if you keep letting him come and go. Its your call. Twelve is a weird age and yes they do odd things, but breaking things sounds a little overboard. Get creative and let her know that she can tell you anything, but her behavior will be addressed.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2008