Do I need to keep a car insured that wont be driven?

Long story short, we cannot take our car with us. We will be moving to Europe and the car will be staying stateside in my mom's driveway until we can save enough money to ship it out west to my MILs house. Nobody will be driving it, it will just be sitting there (and occasionally started every week or so to maintain battery life). Does it need insurance? We are trying to cut costs here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you have a loan on it yes, you do according to the agreement with the bank/loan agency. HOWEVER, you can always ask them if there is a low coverage amount you can have on it.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• By law yes, at lease in Utah. My dad had like 5-6 cars at a time and he got fined big time when they weren't all insured even though half of them weren't driven or even run.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• *ran
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If you are not going to be using your car for over a month, you can contact your insurance company and ask them to suspend your insurance coverage during this period. They may also refund part of your insurance premium for this period too.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• in MI - if the car's paid off and not being driven AT ALL, you don't need to keep it insured.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It also depends on state laws, so you can always look on dmv website or go in and ask.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes, because in the event that you go to renew your insurance or get more you will have to pay more. But I would look at the laws in your area.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• To keep a tag on it in FL you do. I had to give up my tag but had to remove the car from the property since it didn't have a tag. I'd cover it up. Some people who go overseas store them in covered storage units. The only thing I can think of that could cause you real grief is if there was a hurricane or flood and the car moved and hit something causing damage that you'd be responsible for. You may want to keep simple liability on it.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• you have to turn in the plates and registration if you aren't going to have it insured.

Some states may still require you to have an off road insurance as well. Best bet is to check with your local insurance agent and DMV.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If u are planning on moving it then yes I would keep it on.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 4:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010