What are the symptoms of peanut allergies?

My son who is now 14 has never eaten a peanut (or any nut for that matter) in his life. He does not like the smell of peanut butter and will not eat anything containing peanuts/nuts. I am NOT ASKING FOR A DIAGNOSIS!! I simply want to know how other moms found out their child was allergic to peanuts.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 4:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Health

• I always thought my daughter over reacted when she was young.  If someone offered her peanut butter she would freak (and she had never even tried it).  When she was 4 she accidentally ate some and the only symptom apart from hysteria was vomiting.  The same thing happened again when she was 5 and that's when I had her tested.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Swelling,rash or hives, difficulty in breathing are typical with allergies where immediate action is required. My daughter has milk related allergies.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• ■Skin reactions such as hives, redness or swelling
    ■Itching or tingling in or around the mouth and throat
    ■Digestive problems such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea or vomiting
    ■Tightening of the chest
    ■Shortness of breath or wheezing
    ■Runny or stuffy nose
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Hives, swelling, difficulty breathing.
    For my fresh tomato and ANY kind of strawberry/raspberry/blackberry allergy - I break out in hives inside my mouth....very painful, but as of the last time I was exposed I didn't have the life threatening difficulty breathing so I just avoid them and when I go out I make sure I mention that I have a tomato and berry allergy.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• IF you think he has a peanut allergy, get him tested ASAP. A peanut allergy can be deadly at anytime.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010