• In the Spotlight:

How do you prevent muscle spasms in your calf?

I always always always get them when i wake up and do my automatic stretch, which seems to set it off, the first time it was painful, the second time i screamed, the third time (this morning) i was bawling. And for some reason it happens in pairs, i have one for like a minute or two, and then it goes away for like ten seconds and i can feel another one coming back again and it starts again, and once it's gone the pain just vanishes but my calf muscle is still tender and sore. I want remedys that you have used, i've already looked it up online and that stretching your foot up towards your head does not work at all

Young_vegan19

Asked by Young_vegan19 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• poor thing...bananas should do the trick or a vitamin d supplement thats what helped me since i hate bananas
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i had those!!! im so sorry!! i used to stand up and walk on it. it hurt like hell but it went away faster! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's a vitamin deficiency. I don't remember what vitamin it is.
    I think if you eat banana's it should help.
    When you are having one of those cramps, massage the area that is cramping, it helps ALOT.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 4:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm a massage therapist. It sounds like you might have a tight piriformis muscle which is "pinching" your sciatic nerve. Try getting a massage, even if its from your so. Have someone massage your glutes. I know it sounds weird but trust me it works.
    ajmfmommy

Answer by ajmfmommy at 4:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I get those when I'm not pregnant and they intensify with pregnancy as well as my restless legs. It is a vitamin deficiency, try taking calcium, magnesium, zinc or finding ways to increase those with foods. Calcium is pretty easy but keep in mind that leafy greens have lots of calcium and it actually absorbs better than say milk or cheese. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc. And epsom salt baths would help with magnesium. I hope you get some relief I know how painful those can be!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It sounds like you need to eat more potassium (bananas) That's what happened to me during my last pregnancy and then when I had regular blood work drawn, it showed that my potassium was low so I started eating more bananas and it disappeared!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Often it is caused by dehydration. Drink a lot of water.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Also, drink water. You can get them if you're dehydrated.
    jenital

Answer by jenital at 9:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010