Should I keep my baby rear facing once she hits 1 year?

Starting to look for the next car seat for my 10 month old. I know that there is a lot of controversy about rear facing vs. forward facing once a child has hit 1 year. I was wondering what other moms decided on this subject and why. Any suggestions on a specific seat (rear facing or forward facing) would be great as well. We are on a budget, but want to get the best seat for our money.

mhjams

Asked by mhjams at 4:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went to Target and got a really great carseat for a great price. I had a hard time finding one I liked that would work for rear and forward facing.
    I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. I will find out later and let you know. DD's doctor said we could move her to forward facing if we wanted to, but if she was still okay with rear facing to keep her like that. She has no problem with facing back, so she's facing back.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 5:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We use the Graco MyRide 65. It was about $130, and RF up to 40lbs, and FF to 60lbs, so we will have it for a while!! It is super easy to install and travels well (like on airplaces, in other cars, etc). It even has cupholders. I personally think it is a great idea to RF- there isnt a valid argument against it. They are already used to RFing, and it has been proven to be safer, so why not? DD is 18months, been using the seat since 11 months, and she is 27lbs.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• umm..hmm, it's a touchy subject with some.....we turned our dd around at 1..and she's done fine. we just have one of the costco car seats from wal mart..and i like it ok..i want to get her a nicer one, and eventually phase the ones we have now out..or at least to dh's car, since we take mine almost everywhere we go...i don't think one car seat is better than another, i just think its the difference in weight. good luck
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well, rear facing is safer, so why not? Graco MyRide is a great seat. I wanted to get it but it wouldn't fit in our car. We have an Eddie Bauer convertible seat that my 2 year old daughter still rear faces in. It goes to 35lbs and she is only about 29-30lbs now. So we'll be using the seat for a while yet. Her feet just touch the backseat, so her legs are not cramped up at all. Since the seat reclines when its rear faced, it provides more leg room. We bought a Graco Nautilus for when we finally turn her. Another great seat, but it only forward faces, so we're not ready for it yet.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We got the Alpha Omega Elite at Costco for $100.00. It is rated from 5-100 lbs (carseat and booster combo), can be rear or forward facing. We've been very pleased with it. We kept her rear facing until about 16 mo...it is safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible. She started to get uncomfortable though with her legs a little squished so we turned her around. She seemed more content in the car once we turned it around too...it has to be nauseating seeing everything rear facing.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have done a fair bit of research on the subject, and in light of the new AAP recommendation to keep kids rear facing until at least 2yrs old, that is exactly what I'm going to do. I go a convertible seat that can rear-face up to 35 lbs and continue to use the straps forward facing up to 60 lbs. I have a 12 mo old who I'm keeping rear facing. With both my older boys I kept them in the 5 point harness until they were 6yrs old, then they were in booster seats form 6 to 8+.
    I have the Britax Marathon and love it. It is a bit more pricey than some, but I know my DD will be in it for 5-6 years!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• "we turned our dd around at 1..and she's done fine" Yes, they will be fine as long as you are not in an accident that is hard enough to break her neck :-( that is the danger with forward facing at 1yr old. Most people will never be in an accident like that, but you just never know.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• thanks maggie for saying that. think of it this way, when you come to a sudden stop, your body lurches forward. and your body is snapped to a stop by the seat belt. in a forward facing carseat your baby is held in place by the harness, and when the car comes to a sudden stop your baby lurches forward and comes to sudden stop. the babys neck snaps forward. the neckbones and muscles arent strong enough for at least another year to withstand that kind of trauma. the spine seperates on the inside, decapitaing the baby internaly. killing or permantly handicapping the baby. in a rear facing car seat when the car comes to a sudden stop the carseat lurches forward slightly. but your baby is cradle within the carseat. the baby neck and head dont move extensivily. the big arguments for switching to forward facing is,, my baby screams. um i would rather tune out he cries than bury the baby.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 4:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2010