Should We Ban Smoking in Public Housing?

http://healthcare.change.org/blog/view/should_we_ban_smoking_in_public_housing

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 4:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Hahahaha, what an interesting idea! LOL LOL Love to see the riot this would cause, they'd loot the streets and burn down the city!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Interesting - I don't think it would make a difference, really. There are other things already banned in public housing that happen anyway. In terms of the "should" though, there are private landlords that already ban it, and have for decades before there were public smoking bans, and there are cities/states/etc that have already issued bans on all other public property like court houses and sidewalks. On the other hand, people should be allowed to do what is legal in their own home. I'd be interested to see where a court would fall if someone passed a law like that and it was challenged.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• since there are non-smoking apartment complexes, as NotPanicking said, so if the housing authorities in cities wants to ban it for the same reasoning that apartment owners can, then sure, I see no problem with that. That's inside though. So what though? The smokers will just go sit outside and smoke, won't actually fix anything, if anything it will make the ‚ÄúSmoke does not know to stop at a door" that is in the first paragraph of the article says even worse because it will be actually more smoke outside, not the little bit that comes out when a door or window is opened.
    Anonymous

• Wow.
    See people as a bunch of lemmings to be herded about according to the whims of those in power, why don't we.

The problems with smoking aside, this is a matter of RIGHTS.
    So, make smoking illegal if you need to do away with the second-hand smoke, etc.
    But DON'T dictate what legal activities citizens can do in their own homes. THAT'S an entirely different kettle of fish !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• But DON'T dictate what legal activities citizens can do in their own homes. THAT'S an entirely different kettle of fish !

That's fine if it's a single family home, but if it's attached housing with common areas you are going beyond what people do "in their own home". We have both kinds around here - apt complexes and little areas of small brick standalone houses. If you're smoking in those apartments, it is drifting into the hallway and into other apartments or out the window and into the neighbor's. That's not an issue in the stand alone houses, but do you want your next door neighbor's smoke wafting into your baby's room because there is no bedroom that isn't adjacent to a neighbor?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I can see both sides...we have no right to do that & we have an obligation to protect the common good.

I don't thik it's enforceable. Who is going to monitor it? Of course no one would want the police being called everytime someone's neighbor was smoking, but who would they report it to?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Cigarette smoke has not 1 redeeming quality. It pollutes the air and contributes to heart and lung disease. If it were not for the strong tobacco lobby and the production area being so close to WDC, I have a feeling people would be screaming to make the product illegal. Wish they'd come up with a different use, so the industry could flourish without the untoward issues associated.

I'm all for strict restrictions in open or public forums.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• How many more rights do you think the smokers are going to allow to be taken away before they take action? For the most part, smokers are very accommodating to those around them who don't smoke. But when the smoking police start to invade their own personal space (their home, whether it is a house, a duplex, or an apartment, that is going too far.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well if it's pulic housing ...YES!~!! With the money yo are spending on cigrettes you can save and buy your own home or rent an apt yourself. I smoked for 10 years I know how much I have saved since I quit almost 1 year ago!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If smoking is to be banned in public housing then frying fish or cooking anything stinky should be banned too. Just my opinion...
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010