My 11 yr old step daughter struggles with extreme jealously with everyone about anything.

I need advise my step daughter is always super senstive with things. Recently she got a new cell for her gradutation then 3 weeks later I bought my son the same phone to lower our plan. She was so upset my son shared this morning about how she said the sliding was annoying because he texts a lot and no one texts her I guess idk. This happens when almost everything. She makes it appoint to ask people 1hat r u jealous" we r all like what? Hubby doesn't know how to handle it to help her. I feel like I should be sensitive to her but why should I she is the one with issues and I feel so bad for her extreme jealously! She once asked me if I was jealous with something that had to do with her mom. It was so annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It sounds like she is a very insecure child. Sometime when the two of you are alone, tell her to tell you what she thinks you need to know about her or what she would like you to know about her. Then listen carefully to what she has to say. Oftentimes, we look at annoying behavior and we think children are just being brats when they are actually trying to tell us that have unmet needs. So, try looking beyond her faults to see if you can determine a need. It might be physical, emotional, or psychological, and you might just be the person to help her sort all of it out and become the best person she has the potential of being.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Advice? Alright ...
    She sounds like a very indulged child. Why even entertain her inappropriate comments? If it's in regards to a "thing", simply tell her that if she's not happy with (whatever it is), then she can do without it. If it's about people, correct her inaccurate and self-focused views and then tell her the conversation is over.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Umm...seriously? You sound just like her.
    I think you need some help if you're talking like that. She's just a kid, soon to be teenager. They all go through this stage.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 5:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010