What are your feelings on women being induced?

Atleast women being induced cause there uncomfortable or just want it over with or my favorite ( rolling my eyes) I just heard I want to be incontrol of when my child enters the world. I have nothing against women who honestly have no choice and must be induced for medical reason such as those life threating to the child. what are your thoughts on women who induce without no medical reason but to be in control? I really do think doctors should wait until 39 weeks to consider inducing. What do you think?

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 5:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am 100% against induction unless it is medically NECESSARY.

None of the excuses like :
    *Baby will be too big if I go longer
    *I'm past my due date
    *I'm uncomfortable
    *My doctor will be out of town
    * My mom/husband/etc will only be here these set days
    *I want him/her to be born on this date

It pains me that my little cousin was induced before her EDD earlier today (strictly elective) bc she was ready for the baby. *sighs* Still waiting to hear if she had a c-section or not :(

I do believe that there are true reasons to induce and I know 2 people IRL who have legit reasons, but the rest have been either selfish or uneducated reasons.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 8:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Honestly, I've never even thought about it because it's none of my business.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• whatever is best for the mother and the baby
    silverdawn99

Answer by silverdawn99 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was induced last time because my blood pressure was sky high and could have killed us both.

My doctor plans to induce this time to make sure that it never gets anywhere near that high again.

And then I am done. No more kids for me. I'm done with high risk pregnancies.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I am totally against it unless there is a very good medically indicated reason for it. Convenience and being impatient do not count!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I felt the same way you did until I had my first child. I went into labor naturally and then labor slowed down and they ended up giving me petocin anyway. So, with my second, I figured it was no big deal to get induced....chances were good I'd be getting the drug anyway. I ended up going into labor naturally but I was so uncomfortable at the end and he was getting so big and it was so hard to care for my toddler that I totally would have let them induce me.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's up to the mother to decide, unless it would harm her or the baby in anyway.
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 5:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think that most women who get induced for comfort and control are not well educated in childbirth.
    This is clear because if you look at the effects that induction has, the last thing induction offers is comfort and control.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The character count is far too short for me to fully explain why I am against non-medical inductions. To simplify the many many risks way out number the superficial benefits.

That said induction is so socially acceptable it's difficult to talk about with women who have grown up with our society's portrayal of childbirth. I think your post was probably an attempt to educate but it comes across as trying to start drama. Maybe try a different approach next time by posting an informative article or something a long those lines.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was induced at 37 wks because my pregnancy before that one ended in a stillbirth

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010