A doll for my son

So we have decided to TTC when our son is between 10-12 months. I plan to give my son a doll to love on. I want him to know that this is his "baby". We will hold the baby, feed the baby and use gentle hands with the baby. And involve him in the ultrasound and all of that. I know he is young but I think it would be good for him. I am a firm advocate of giving boys dolls and teaching them how to love and nurture. The only thing is..I am not sure when to give it to him..now at 10 months, when we start TTC, or when we are actually preggo.

so the question is give it to him when: When we start to TTC (He is 10 months now), When we ar preggo? or Now?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• why not now if you think he'd like it-
    I totally agree with giving boys dolls. Particularly baby doll!
    good choice!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would wait until your prego, and ive never thought to do that what a great idea!!!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I say wait. My daughter is 17 months and she just throws baby dolls around.

You need to wait until he is able to understand more what "feeding" the baby is, holding it, etc is. Right now he's going to look at it, MAYBE play with it (and it wont be the "right" or "nice" way), and then turn the other way.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 5:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My oldest son has a doll.....I gave it to him when he was 8 months old, his brother was born when he was 13 months old. He would sit on the couch beside me and "feed" his baby while I fed my son. The baby I got him is a rag doll baby boy. He still has it and pretends to be a daddy with him when his sister plays with her babies!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 5:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'd get it and then pretend to feed it and change its diaper and let him help,but don't give him one with the intent of having him do this stuff. He'll try it on the real baby! My cousin has a 22 month old and a 3 month old,and the older one keeps trying to feed his brother and carry him around! She tried the baby doll thing too. It was a bad idea for HER

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My eldest was 13 months when I got pregnant with my second, the recommended we get her a pet so she could learn to be nice and careful before the baby comes. I got her a cat when I was 7 months pregnant and she loved her, ummm...after my second baby was born she wasn't very nice to her, she was just jealous and stayed away from her but she did learn to be careful around her and handle her gently. When I was pregnant with my twins when my second was 2 she had dolls and she would practice on them sooo much that I caught her trying to change my sons diaper! So I'd prob recommend a pet, he might get confused with the doll and think that all that you do with the doll he would do.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No I am not intending for him to actually do these things. I want him to be comfortable with the idea. And use gentle loving hands and know this would be his baby too. Thanks!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We do this with my parents at the hospital in the education programs I do. It seems to work well with even the smaller children. It is about consistency, your word usage, how you treat the doll and praise. I agree it doesn't work for every child. But I am gonna try. And if not it will help teach him some nuturing skills we forget to instill in our boys. LOL Thanks Ladies.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• doctors recommend that you dont get pregnant for atleast a year after
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my doctor has given the go ahead! and we dont know if we r planning to ttc now (he is 10 months) or in a couple of months when he is 12 months. Besides women have had them closer together with good out comes! :)
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010