Do you think this would be ok?

I have only been at my current job for 3 months. I work part-time on Mon, Tues and Thurs. I have sort of been looking for another part-time job to supplement my current position, but not really searching too hard. Well I was offered a really great weekend job today and it's more money both because of pay, and more hours than my current job. I want to work both for awhile because my dh is still looking for work, but I know I'll have to quit one job eventually. I would quit my current job since the commute is 45 min each way, and the pay is less. The place where I was offered a job asked for 4 references; 2 co-workers and 2 managers (one being my current manager). Would it be tacky to ask my current manager for a reference under the guise that I will be staying there? I mean I will be there for awhile longer at least. What should I do? I don't like deceiving people & I feel weird asking since I haven't been there that long.

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• You could tell the manager that you are looking for a second job to supplement your income. This is honest. You don't have to say anything about thinking of quitting, after all you don't know if you'll have or like the other job or whether you even be able to quit the present one, so I think that there is no reason to bring quitting up- it may not happen.

Answer by Bmat at 5:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't feel that would be deception. You may, after all, find out that the new position isn't as good as you anticipate and choose to stay at the old job.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• if you plan on staying at the current job a while, i don't think it would be weird to ask your manager. i mean people have got to understand the need for a second job, especially since it's so part time..
    jadeyvonne

Answer by jadeyvonne at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i wouldnt feel wierd. do what you gotta do
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Most employment is open door policy these days. Sure, why not? You don't have to tell them you are thinking of leaving eventually.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Also, I haven't told my current manager that I was looking for a second job yet. I really didn't think I'd get anything this soon since it took so long for me to get my current job (I was unemployed for 18 months). I basically took my current job because a job is a job and we needed the money. It certainly wasn't my first choice. This second job is one I really wanted, but didn't think I'd get it.
    anime_mom619

Comment by anime_mom619 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would just tell her you are looking for more work. Peroid. If they call her, by law she can only tell them #1-If she would hire you again? and #2- If you currently work there? That's in Michigan. They are not allowed to tell too much or it's can be considered slander.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Here's the thing, the job I was offered has this weird system where you plug in e-mails of 2 managers and 2 co-workers and then it automatically sends out reference forms to them (I think that's how it works). I have two co-workers and one manager's e-mail already. I have to talk to my current manager and then give them her e-mail address. I want to make sure I talk to her before I do this. So I'm thinking about just telling her I was offered a job to supplement my current one (which is true) and ask her if she would give me a reference. I just don't know much about how this lady works since I haven't been there long enough. I'd hate for her to give me a bad reference. My other three references will all be very positive, so maybe I just shouldn't care that much. I just don't want her to make my life miserable (not that she would, but some bosses do that).
    anime_mom619

Comment by anime_mom619 (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would let your current manager know. What is the harm, you are trying to make ends meet in your home. What person wouldn't appreciate that? I would be straight up with your manager, and I am sure you will get the reference you need. Good Luck=)
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If you ask your current manager to provide a reference for you, you definitely risk losing this job.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010