"my baby can read"

anyone has this? does it work/help? would you recommend it?

fenska87

Asked by fenska87 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not recommend it. If you want you child to "get ahead" then read to them and play with them and limit "screen time". One of the best predictors in future reading success is number of vocabulary words a child knows. Talking to them, reading to them, and playing with them is the best way to build their vocabulary and knowledge of the world so that they can succeed later. Programs like My Baby Can Read attempt to build a house without a foundation. It make look impressive at first, but it won't last.
    Spend your money on some blocks, books, a sandbox, and trips to the zoo instead.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We use/used it and I do believe Your Baby Can Read works. We would show it during breakfast and dinner on a portable dvd. A win/win since he loves watching dvd's and is paying attention while in his high chair. My oldest is now 25 months and he doesn't watch as much as he used to since we also have 14 mo old twins now. They did not get the full benefits of watching consistently and I can tell the difference. You have to give some effort and be consistent to see the benefits.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't find it necessary. That product can do what a $1.00 pack of ABC and word cards can do if mom and dad just sit and work with their child. Plus, I don't like that it doesn't teach phonemic awareness.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's stupid. There is no good reason that I need for my baby to read. I am perfectly happy reading to her. Infants should not be taking classes. It's ridiculous. Let a baby be a baby.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010