breastfeeding question

just wondering is ther anything i shouldnt eat while breastfeeding

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope! You can eat whatever you want! There are a lot of myths out there about this. Awesome info on this at Can a nursing mother eat this food?

"There are NO foods that a mother should avoid simply because she is breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that you eat whatever you like, whenever you like, in the amounts that you like and continue to do this unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby to a particular food."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You certainly can eat whatever you want. Just be weary if your little one gets an elergic reaction.
    theresaphilly

Answer by theresaphilly at 5:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The only thing I would suggest is to maybe limit things like broccoli, beans, etc. if your baby has a problem with gas. Other than that you just want to eat well rounded healthy meals and snacks. Don't be afraid to try something different either. Your breastmilk changes flavor with what you eat so you baby is less likely to be picky if you introduce her to a variety of foods now.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There hasn't been any evidence to show that what a nursing mom eats will affect her child. However some moms believe that if they eat broccoli, milk or beans, it'll gve heir babies gas. A LC said a group mtg, if u it a hamburger it's not gonna come out a hamburger from ur milk. There is also the part about avoiding foods that might give u food poisoning and in turn pass it on to ur child. For example raw fish, unpastuerized cheese, et.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• "How will eating "gassy foods" affect baby?

It is common for nursing moms to be warned away from eating the so-called "gassy foods" such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, etc. However, gassy foods have no more potential to affect your baby than other foods.

Eating certain foods may cause gas in mom due to the normal breakdown of some of the undigested carbohydrates (sugar, starches, soluble fiber) by bacteria in the large intestine.

However, breastmilk is made from what passes into mom's blood, not what is in her stomach or digestive track. Neither the gas nor the undigested carbohydrates (whose breakdown can cause gas in mom) pass into mom's blood, so it is impossible for these things to pass into your milk to make your baby gassy.

This is not saying that your baby will not have a sensitivity to a certain food, but a food's potential to affect baby really has nothing to do with whether it makes mom gassy. "
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Along with what the other ladies have said, if your baby does get gassy from a certain food, you might not have to avoid that food the entire time you're breastfeeding. I had to avoid garlic for about two months. I still ate it occasionally and when she was about 8 weeks old, she wasn't bothered by it anymore.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Nope. But you should watch to see how baby reacts to things. My LO didn't really like very spicy things - he got gas if I had mexican food (I always put very hot salsa on things). But really that's all I limited. And that I didn't limit for long. He got used to it after a while. Some women have to cut dairy because their LOs have some kind of intolerance. Thankfully I could eat all the cheese and milk I wanted! But otherwise - eat as you please.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• All I know is I eat whatever I want..lol
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I always ate pretty much the same, bananas, milk, cereal, french toast, cold meat,lettuce, wheat bread, and pasta/parmesean cheese for dinner, with meat sauce, lots and lots of meat sauce. Never had an issue breastfeeding.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:14 AM on Jul. 24, 2010