103 fever

My daughter who is 6 has a sort of high fever.It is 102.9. I gave her motirn but it hasnt kicked in yet. I asked her if she felt sick and she says no not at all. Which worries me even more in a way. Today is Friday so our Clinic is closed all weekend and we would have to go to the ER which I hate more than anything. We also have a big trip planned for tomorrow but if she isnt better, we obviously can not go. Which would be a bummmer. Cause we can not replan the trip. Sooo should I take her into the Drs just to see whats going on or what???

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Check to see if there are any urgent care clinics in your area. Those are usually open on Saturdays and in the evenings. That way you aren't running up an ER bill, and you can find out what is wrong. See if you can sweat the fever out of her. Sometimes that works.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would. 102.9 is a worrisome fever for a 6 yr old. Touch the little notch in front of the ear opening..if she flinches, pulls away or tells you that it hurts it's a good indication of ear infection.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• take her into the doctors for what?
    it's just a little fever. Fevers are not a bad thing. It means her body is doing what it needs to do to fight off whatever infection she has inside her. If she feels fine then that's not a reason to worry.
    Just make sure she's drinking lots of water and getting plenty of rest.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• um. a fever of 104+ is worrisome for a child her age. But as long as it's not getting any higher then she's fine. The only way i'd bring her into the doctors is if the motrin didn't work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sometimes all the symptoms don't come on all at once. Also, medicines are based on the age of the child and other factors. You need to reduce the fever and keep a watch out. I found that my kids illnesses were worse at night than during the day for some strange reason.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree a fever is the bodies natural defense against infection. If it was a low grade fever I would say watch it. My youngest son used to get raging ear infections that ruptured his ear drum (three times). He ran between 102-103 every time but denied anything hurt anywhere. Next thing I know he has blood and pus on his pillow or running down his neck. . Just saying...
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yeah, we live in a small community, closest urgent care is 45 mnutes away, except for the ER of course. She is laying on couch with blanket. I gave her equate version of Motrin, as Tylenol usually does not help either of my kids.. weird.. So I guess we will play it by ear tomorrow.
    Mommyof2n0308

Comment by Mommyof2n0308 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• could it be heat stroke?
    keep her hydrated for sure.
    i am not one to rush to the dr.'s ever, but i would cancel the trip and make sure dd gets rest and fluids. that is what i would do.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I dealt with this similar issue yesterday. Yesterday I posted a ? in the morning about her high fever, I was doing intervals of Tylenol, motrin, and lukewarm baths. It started at 6 am by 4 pm I had not control or brought down her fever. Instead it kept going up and was OVER 104. I called the dr office explained what was going on and what I had been doing. They told me to go to the walk in. At the walk in they immediately took us to a room, examined her and sent us to the ER. More testing needed to be done. We arrived at the ER @ 5 pm and left at 2:30 am. As soon as we got the the ER they put her in a room and started testing. They gave her x-rays, CT scan, started an IV, did blood work, tested for flu, strep etc. detail on blog. In the end it was UTI.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We should have been half way to CO right now. (We live in IL). So it's a huge bummer not to be going! Like you our trip can not be reschedule. So I get what you are going through!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010