Would you...

Okay mommas...

Would you...
allow your child(ren) around an alcoholic?
They could be nice drunks, mean drunks, crazy drunks, funny drunks, fall over drunks...etc.

What are your thoughts on it?

Definition of Alcoholic:

Asked by Mrs.Halloween at 6:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• No drunks.They say things they don't mean to people. The next day they won't remember having said it. A child won't understand
    the behavior either.

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Would i allow my children around an alcoholic? hmmm. well, i suppose i already have. my cousin is an alcoholic. but she is also DS1's biological aunt. She's never gotten drunk around my children though.

I don't think you can judge people based on an addiction. yes, it is wise to be aware of it and alert. But to say that a recovering addict (of any addiction) should not be around children is stretching it. In a perfect world it would be nice of those people didn't exist. But that's now how the world works.

My mom had a pharmaceutical drug addiction. Doesn't mean i didn't let her visit her grandson. It just means she wasn't allowed to supervise him while stoned.

Then again, i don't shelter my children from the realities of this world. But i do everything i can to protect them.
    A dangerous person isn't always an addict. And my children are NEVER around dangerous people.

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes. Alcoholism isn't contagious. That doesn't mean I'd allow her around a drunk person, and it also doesn't mean I'd allow her to be left unsupervised with an alcoholic. But yes, absolutely, I'd allow my daughter to be around an alcoholic.

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not if it were someone constant in my life. Well I guess it depends. If I am at a friends/family or anyone's else and there is a person clearly intoxicated and my children were watching I would probably leave if no other adults removed the individual from the area. if it's a family member that has an issue with alchohol; probably not.

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If you mean when they're drunk (or even drinking) no. I have my personal reasons for that. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't allow them to be around each other when that isn't going on.

Answer by firenicecream at 6:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• def. not unless i was there and left if i didnt agree with what was going on

Answer by megan1089 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My BIL is an alcoholic to the point that he is legally "disabled" and beyond my control he lives here... So I guess by default I have to say I do. But he's generally not around the kids - he lives in the basement.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not when he/she was drinking. Sober is fine.

Answer by beckie66 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It all depends on the person & how drunk they are. I know at family gatherings, there will be some beers & drinks passed around. I'm not going to tell DD to hide in the basement or anything.

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When I was younger I left dd with mom, I assumed she wasn't drinking but at times I'm sure she did. Now that I am older(and wiser), I'm not sure I would...

Answer by writeon at 6:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010