For mommies with baby boys...Has your LO had a yeast infection?

I took him in for his 12 month check up, his pedi told me he had a yeast infection, yes I thought only girl/women had them turns out boys get them too. Pedi told me to treat it with over the counter anti-fungal medicine which I have been but it's not getting any better, you think I should call his pedi and see if they can prescribe something or just give it more time with the over the counter? I am not sure how long it takes for it to clear with over the counter meds. Any suggestions on helping it clear up sooner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nystatin cream is what they rx and cleared it up
    spammyann

Answer by spammyann at 6:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Mine did when he was a little younger than yours is. Maybe 8 or 10 months. Ped Rx'd Nystatin and it cleared up in about 5 days. How long have you been using the OTC? If it's been less than a week, I would say give it at least that long. If it's been a week or more, I would call his ped on Monday and ask for some Nystatin. It will clear it right up, and it's pretty cheap.
    Yeast can grow anywhere it is warm and moist and dark. Let him have some naked time every day and it will help to prevent it in the future.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 6:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Neither of my boys have had this issue, but it's easy to see how it happens. I would call his doctor back if it's been a few days. There are pills and whatnot for adults, so maybe they can give you something like that for him. I don't know. Here is some quick answers I found for you... Good Luck!

http://www.ehow.com/about_5047314_causes-yeast-infections-baby-boys.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son hasn't had one, but I know they can be common in both boys and girls at that age.
    winterrose82

Answer by winterrose82 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes he has had them. There all sorts of different types of yeast infections, I had some kind of skin yeast on my back once, they don't get the type we get but they can get yeast. I agree with pp's give it a few more days and if it still isn't starting to clear up call the doctor and he should be able to prescribe you something to help get rid of it.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My little guy had it and the dr. prescribed him some probiotic cream and it cleared up pretty quickly.
    mysonismyjoy

Answer by mysonismyjoy at 6:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My LO just got off oral steroids, he had a viral respiratory infection, I wonder if this caused it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks ladies. He's had it since last week, I saw his Pedi on Monday but he said to do the over the counter stuff. But I am going to call on Monday. It seems like it's getting better then it gets red again, some of them look like little bumps with pus (sorry TMI) on them and he keeps grabbing his private section like he's itching down there, I feel bad.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I called his pedi, he's had it over a week 1/2 but I thought it was a regular diaper rash so I was applying A & D oitment on it, on monday the doc asked me not to put it on anymore because it wouldn't help it. Wish I could have known or asked sooner.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010