what do you do when you need a break from your kids and you don't drive and you have no friends that drive?

I need a break before I go nuts from my kids. My kids are 5 and 2.5 and the past 2 days my kids just have been so bad I can't take it anymore. I think half the reason is because I haven't had a baby sitter in I can't tell you how long. Over a year I can tell you that. But the thing is I don't drive. I don't have any friends that drive either. And no family really other than my mom and sister well and brother, but they all work. My 5 year old doesn't nap anymore and she gives me probelms on going to bed at night she wont finally fall asleep until 12 or 1am so that isn't really a break so what do you do in this situation when you really need a break from your kids? No bashing every mom needs a break once in a while. I am a SAHM as well

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• @ coffeeyum cwho says sahm cant have a car and just because you dont have a car doesnt mean she cant common damn sense tell you some need require work and money and anit like shell be working on the damn car everyday of the year if you think saving money for a car is a dream then your dreams must be awful small is why you love and is on the bus the bus sometimes people dont always want to use the bus the problem with you is that you sound lazy i dont need to free load or want to free load on someone elses gas or car if you have children you gotta to get up and move your own behind and not expect other people to use their eyes and car for you just about everything in this world cost money before you try to address someone make sure you got a clear understanding about what is being said besides i wasnt talking to you anyway so dont come on here with your situations and try to make them someone elses situations she ask 4advice
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 7:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• What's a child of that age doing up at that hour of the night? Oh my, no wonder she thinks she can "be bad", as you worded it. She can. Teach her limits and enforce rules and it will be much easier on you - maybe then you won't feel so much like you need a break!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'd require quiet time ... if you don't enforce naps anymore, then you might want to consider a "rest time" in the afternoon, on her bed, with books and stuffed animals.
    I also don't mess around with bedtime - being non-compliant with bedtime is not an option. And overly tired kids act up.
    Even the little one can grasp the concept of "alone time", if it's for short periods of time. And alone time is healthy for all people, adults and children alike.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Honestly?

I turn on a movie and go into my room to scrapbook. Works for me because the TV is only on when someone is actually watching it. And how often i let them watch it is regulated. So, when i really need a break i just turn on the TV and they watch it, for the most part, without interruption.
    But if you watch TV a lot in your house this probably wouldn't work for you.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Either wait until naptime, try to make some friends through a local CM group, use public transportation (if it is good in your area), take them to the park and let them play on their own while you sit on a bench and relax, or try to find a babysitter you can trust. It could be a neighbor or somebody that you have a few meetings with before leaving your kids.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Also, it sounds like your 5 year old is probably over tired. Children who are over tired have difficulty falling asleep. Perhaps a "quiet time" would be good for her. Whenever your 2yr old naps make sure that your 5 yr old is doing something quiet. That can be reading a book, or quietly coloring. Something relaxing and calming. And have the TV off too so that that is not stimulating the brain. Try to have a specific place for her to do these quiet activities every day.
    Even though she isn't sleeping, it will help her body wind down.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a nearly 4 year old dd. When I need a break from her, I tell her to go play in her room. Yes, it is by herself, but there is nothing wrong with that. At least you have two that can entertain each other.
    Then I go into my room and either sew or work on my novel or do CM. But I'm also on limited mobility due to a high risk pregnancy.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• well for now buy a1day fun pass hop on the train and go do whatever ............take driving lessons and get your license and save up for a car once you get hold of that car your life is going to change forever even on the days when you got your children because you would be able to take them out and tired them out and theyll got straight to sleep and you and friends can go out
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 6:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I haven't had a sitter, but we exchange relation / cousins on and off for them to have a sleepover here, and then ours get to sleepover to their home. Try sleep over exchanges, you may never get a sitter. this is good for the children. Ours love the exchanges.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sit them in front of the TV with a snack and a drink and go in the other room... I can still see them, but sometimes a mama needs a break! I do have a license, but that doesn't mean anything! I still couldn't just leave them here - car or not - so you make do in the house.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010