Who do you serve first?

When I was younger my mom never served dinner. She would cook, and then we would all line up in the kitchen and fix our own plates, that we carried to the dinner table. First in line was my dad, ALWAYS. No one was allowed to touch the food until he got his plate. (Both my parents worked full time, so it's not like he was the breadwinner of the family, my mom just felt he should be served first.)

I don't do things that way. When I cook, I also plate and serve the food, while my family sits and waits at the table. But, I always serve my kids first.

Do you serve your family? And if yes, who do you serve first, your husband or your kids?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 6:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I like this question, thanks for asking! I do serve my family and love it! My kids get served first, then my husband, and then myself!
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Elders first, and it certainly doesn't hurt children to learn to politely wait their turn.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's just my daughter and me now, unless we have company. But traditionally, it's a matter of respect to serve guests and elders first.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I make dinner, plate the food and always serve my husband first. He works hard all day so that I can stay home, so that is the least that I can do.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• im serving the children first starting with the youngest
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 6:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Depends. When the kids were little I would prep their plates first with my husband helping. My husband is usually last to get his food. Now the kids are old enough to get their own plates. My husband usually helps our 4 year old. That's for dinner. The kids make their own breakfast and lunch. They are 10, 8, 7 and 4.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Our meals are served as you see on tv lol all items are placed on the table no one is served first in my house we all are served together it is a family setting on the table we sit and serve ourself.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My husband helps me get the kids food plated, then we plate ourselves. But if I did it that way, I would give him his first. We both work, but my husband will be here after the kids leave the nest and as someone above said--kids can learn to respect their elders and learn patience.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My husband gets served first,he also get the most and best of what I make,then my son,then me.he works 10-12 hr days,he deserves the attention.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• def agree my mom always served her boyfriends first and then who ever came after, I def serve my kids first and then make hubbys and my plate, My kids come first for everything, no matter what.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 6:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010