Do you think it is smart to move into a trailer?

Right now we live in a two bedroom apt. and it is pretty affordable, but the condition of the place is horrible, and I don't even like people seeing where we live. We have very nice things, just the actual apartment is shabby. Now, we found a trailer, in nice condition, it is a newer one. It's the same price as our rent right now except we would have to pay electric and heat. Plus, it is literally a mile away from where DH works which would save us like 200 is travel costs a month. Is living in a trailer always a shameful thing? Or is it only when it is in a crappy trailer park surrounded by broken down old trailers? This is a nicer place, in a nice neighborhood..What would you do?

Awing10

Asked by Awing10 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• i duno....i personally dont care for them. but i know a lot of people who do. it is more convienet and afordable for them. and some of them buy expensive land then buy and inexpensive tralor to put on it. but it is their. i am no one to judge i am still renting an apartment myself.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 6:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with living in a trailer. You are providing an affordable roof over your kid's head. Not a damn thing shameful about it being a metal one with metal walls and wheels underneath.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It depends are where it is. My inlaws live in a trailer in a nice neighborhool No issue. My former BIL lives in a trashy trailer park. Issue.

However, if you live in tornado alley, I don't care what neighborhood it's in, it's dangerous.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We live in a manufactured home, aka mobile home/trailer, and we are very happy. We own it and it is the biggest house I have ever lived it. We have a lot of strict rules so everything is very well-kept and clean. We have a 2 1/2 car garage, too.

You should be paying a lot fee, too, so don't forget to check into that, unless it is included in your total payment.

Good luck!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would move into the trailer. The neighborhood is THE most important thing. It sounds like it would be a nice safe place. As long as you can afford the additional electric & heat bills, I say go for it. It sounds as if you think it may be the best move too. Best wishes on your new home!! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• No, and it sounds like a much better living situation. And instead of trailer think mobile home ( less white trashy sounding). Some of the newer trailers are nicer than homes now days any way. And if its that much closer for you dh to go to work, nicer enviroment GO GO GO!!!! Its only bad when its a run down trailer park.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I would move into it it sounds like you like it as well go for it. if it looks way better than where you are living now yeah move in. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I grew up in a trailer. Now we have a house. To be honest, I would take that trailer over this house any day! Modular and Manufactured homes are not the "trash" houses they once were. And even if they were it sounds like this place is still a step up! I say go for it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sounds like a good move. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There is such an awful stigma with Trailors...honestly i want one soo bad. The only downfall to them is the noise factor. ALot of times you can hear through the walls like your right there it seems! I agree with the above about the tornado situation. But there is nothing WRONG with a trailor! MOVE MOVE MOVE do what keeps you and yours safe and HAPPY! GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010