Do you think certain talents skip a generation?

Like being able to cook, play an instrument or be musically inclined, be good at art, or play a specific type of sport,etc.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mother has a theory that being left handed skips a generation. My son is left handed, she's left handed, and her grandfather was left handed but all the generations in between are right handed. I also know that my grandfather is big on learning and educating himself as am I but my mother loathed school and wouldn't study for fun at all. Of course the sample is far too small to be remotely statistically significant but it is kinda curious.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think actually depends on how you were raised on how good you are at something. Like my mom was never encouraged to draw, but she let all of us kids and we all are pretty good at art. Really parents that are behind the kids favorite subject/activity help make the talent improve because they are supporting the idea. If my mom never supported me in the things that I liked to do, I would have never even tried to do better at them
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure. My Mom and my dd have A ton of things in common and my Grandmother and I had a ton of things in common. I actually call my Grandmother my kindred spirit. My Mom and I are polar different.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The answers on this question are great. This isn't a bad Q I just think that sometimes people are limited before they are born. So novels get written, and high technology can't take over, just that people are linked to how much exposure they are allowed to think with. Let's say someone is only cued in life to act on favors from rich people. Maybe they learn a new way or perhaps they just know that money rules them. Or let's say perhaps a person is disabled and they get over that birth challenge . That alone is quite an achievement, so it's all not possible to say talent in general is a social rule to follow or a genetic one. Sometimes it's just doing with what you have at the time. God sees all things,, even way before so he likes us regardless.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well, I don't think that knowing how to cook is necessarily a talent....you can learn through trial and tribulation and practice. No matter how much I practice....I'll stick makes dogs cry if I sing! lol I don't think so though. My dad was very athletic and I was very athletic and I'm hoping my daughter will be also.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I do! My dad and older brother can sing very well and my youngest brother...not so much :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Um...no?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• *I'll still make

I really can't type today!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010