has anyone ever witnessed?

I went for a little get a way w/ my hubby, and we were walking, and witnessed a gma and daughter, & her baby, the gma was pushing the stroller w/ the infant, (im guessing 2-3 months old) who was not strapped in. Well anywho i guess they hit a bump on the side walk.. the baby fell out on its head/face, and she ran over her w/ the stoller.. It was awful, my heart just hurt witnessing that. i watched to make sure the baby was okay. I hope next time they aren't lazy about buckeling the baby in next time! Has anyone else seen anything like this? tell us your story, if not tell me what you thought of this.

MOMSART

Asked by MOMSART at 11:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• I saw something similar last May when we were at the Memorial Day parade in town. It was an older mom with a baby (she must have been in her mid-30's). The baby was probably about 6 months old and not strapped into the stroller. Mom was chatting away with her friends and the baby slipped right out and started screaming (the stroller wasn't moving but still).

It's so irritating when you see people do stupid things like that! I wonder if these are the same people that don't think it's always necessary to buckle them into their carseats. Now that REALLY gets me going when I am driving down the road and see kids standing up in the backseat!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Part of me agrees. The stroller has a seat belt, use it! And part of me says it happens.
    I see moms bashed when something happens to the child all the time. If a child falls off the monkey bars, mom should have been right there to save him. If a child gets lost in a store, mom should have never let her out of eyesight.
    Maybe Grandma ridiculed mom hundreds of times about “silly safety rules” and mom gave in this once. Nothing bad had ever happened before; surely it would be OK and she wouldn't get the "over-protective mom" lecture again. Do you think they feel badly? Do you think it helps to know that everyone who saw it is thinking what horrible people they are? Yes, it was stupid. Everyone who has never made a stupid mistake in her life, please stand-up. I thought so - no takers.
    Let's try to have a little sympathy for each other and to learn from other people's mistakes instead of condemning them for being human.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• hey im not perfect i wasn't saying i was. I just have heard stories of things like this happening and never seen it for myself. Before i had a baby this probably wouldn't have phased me, but now, me as a parent, even though the baby wasn't mine, I felt for the baby. My heart melted the same way it would IF this happened to me. Which it CAN happen to anyone. It is just a eye opener to buckle them in and dont be lazy about it. I here ya on your thought, I hope this never happens to anyone. As for being human and a mother, ya i have sympathy for them, i just wanted to share what i witnessed and get ppl's thoughts and stories from their life. It interest me.
    MOMSART

Answer by MOMSART at 12:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Most people don't expect a 2-3 month old to fall out because they can't try to get out. A little much to call her lazy or irresponsible. I bet she felt worse than onlookers.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Ahhh.. I see your point and what you wanted. I can understand in the "learn from other people's mistake" kind of way.

I haven't seen anything yet but as my daughter gets older, she racks up more and more "learning moments" for me. Watching her trip over her toys, discovering her with scissors in hand (her arms seem to get longer overnight), nervously trying to let her play on the playground equipment by herself. Sometimes I can anticipate problems - when we took the safety gate off of the stairs, I put a padded rug at the bottom to help cushion the fall if (when) she falls - sometimes I can't.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Accidents happen, but it just makes your skin crawl thinking about it. They will just know better for next time. But I agree with flymom07.
    My mom was carrying my daughter once when she was 6 months old and walking outside and there was a funny bump in the pavement none of us saw. My mom stepped half on and half off of it and fell with her. My mom did her best to take the brunt of the fall but my daughter still hit her head on the pavement so hard her head bounced up like a bal then fell back down. She had a cluster of bumps on the side of her head. It made me cry for sure...she was tougher than I was about it lol.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008