Discrimination because you are...

I thought about this after reading the question about homosexuals. Why are they always being compared to being a black? I am still confused to how it relates. I am a woman and black whether I want people to know or not...it is not my decision. Personally I do not care who you sleep with but I do not want to here about it whether you are into women, men, animals, objects, etc.! Just do not compare being homosexual to my problems... What are you ladies thoughts on that?

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's wrong to discriminate against any group. Black people can marry - persons with same-sex partners cannot. I find that very sad for them and I believe it should change. No one should treat anyone differently due to things like gender, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well, some gays are really REALLY bad at hiding it lol. So it might be similar that way :p

No, black people do not face the same type of discrimination that homosexuals do. But both groups have suffered and been denied equal rights, and both groups are discriminated against. I do see some similarities, but then again, I'm a straight, white woman lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think they compare homosexuality to being black because it is discrimination or judgement. Its not about what kind of person you are, but how they are treated.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It is compared to being black because of the discrimination they had to with stand when they were not so easily accepted in society, after fighting blacks earned their rightful place, and this is why it is compared. You don't have a choice you are black because of heredity, so were the gays, they were born this way, and they can't change, just like you can't change the color of your skin.

Answer by older at 7:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There really is no likeness between the problems faced by blacks and those by homosexuals. As you said, you can't hide being black, but people only know others are homosexual if they want people to know.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Discrimination in any form, needs to be eradicated. Homophobes respond very violently against homosexuals. Likewise, there are some races that respond very violently against black people. In this regard, the discrimination is similar.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I dont like the comparison, and i cant stand the fact that theres so much discrimination still...my mom is a hair away from being homophobic, and i swear she can be so judgemental sometimes it makes me want to vomit! IDK where it comes from but Im soo opposite. Personally you being black white orange doesnt affect me....and being gay has nothing to do with me either. It shouldnt affect you getting a job or living your life (ie. getting married)....but until people stop trying to control each others lives were not going to change that!!! and being allowed to have a "civil union" or whatever its called ISNT THE SAME, to me thats a smack in the face!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Both race and sexuality are traits we don't get to choose... So the point of comparing them is that there is just no reason to hate someone based on these aspects of their life. It's about being discriminated simply for being who nature made you and in that the two are very comparable!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The only possible reason I can see black compared to homosexual is if a person is a black homosexual. No one should be lumped into a group or compared. We are all individual human beings and should all have the same rights...except child molesters and the like.
    lizard111

Answer by lizard111 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Prunkey, As you said, you can't hide being black, but people only know others are homosexual if they want people to know.

Some homosexuals do not have to speak in order to say what they are, there are many physical attributes that give it away. If they do not make themselves known to the world of their repression and being treated like second class citizens how are they suppose to achieve their goal? This is how they will reach equality by letting the world know of their discrimination.

Answer by older at 7:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010