pap and pregnancy

i had a pap smear done and they said it was abnormal, i have never had one before that was abnormal! should i worry or is it just because i am pregnant i am going for a colposcopy (sp?) at the end of october but i heard it hurts is that true too? I am scared.....

jparker289

Asked by jparker289 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Not really. They use a speculum just like during a pap, and then they will use a q-tip thing to stain your cervix with dye, adn then let it set for a little while, and then yuse a camera on a thin tube to take pictures of the cervix. They may use the q-tip thing again to move the cervix around a bit, but it didn't hurt me. At least that's how mine was done when I had an abnormal years ago. It turned out to be nothing, everything was fine. Most women will get at least one abnormal in their life time!! So don't freak out too much!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Since you are pregnant they will do it just like WadeMom313 said. If you weren't pregnant they would do a biopsy, which IS painful, but also dangerous if you're pregnant. No worries.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i have never been so scared in my life a lady at my doctors office told me it hurt and my doctor told me i can have it done now or after my baby is born i opted for now cause my husband thinks its a good idea, but she said it could be nothing i am worried i am paying for something i dont need. good to know it wont hurt. she also told me it could be HPV but wouldnt the pap say if it was HPV?
    jparker289

Answer by jparker289 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I heard that its can be normal to have an abnormal pap while pregnant. I did and then took another one a month or two later and it was normal. Try not to worry. Take it one step at a time. Ask questions. If you don't want a test ask what another way could be. Its okay to question docs. Weigh the risks. Do what is right for you and your baby. Good luck.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 6:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008