car travel with 3 month old

Next week we are traveling 5 hours in a car with my 3 month old daughter. I am very nervous. Has anyone traveled with their 3 month old or younger baby? Any tips?

jet360

Asked by jet360 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be ready to stop if he gets fussy~get baby out to get his tummy moving around, new things he hasn't seen before?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• sorry, her!
    surfcitymom

• We used to plan car trips around their naps. Our first baby was a great predictable napper and we could plan easily. We would stop and take a break to feed the baby. Our kids loved being in the car. I hope yours does. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we used to travel alot when my son was 2-3 months and he did pretty good. i was also a little nervous about how he was going to do. but he pretty much slept the whole way their except when he was hungry or needed a diaper change. good luck and hope you get over your nervousness :)
    Supey

Answer by Supey at 7:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Just to stop every couple of hours to change and feed her.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have travelled long trips with DS since he was a baby. The time that worked best for us was to drive at night and get as much done as we could while he slept. But as others have mentioned be prepared to stop and get out to feed, change and move your lo around a bit before getting back in. If there is going to be someone back there with her maybe you could bring a few soft toys or books to use to entertain her. Good luck and have a safe trip :)
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son did a transatlantic trip at 5 months. Obviously not exactly the same thing, much longer but without the need to keep him strapped in a car seat, but still stressful.

Bring things that you know will calm her. If she likes soft things then bring a soft blanket or a small soft bear to snuggle, even at that age those things can help them stay calm. Be prepared to stop often for nursing. If you know she tends to eat at a certain time and you pass a sign saying "last rest stop for 50 miles" 10 minutes before that time then stop even if she's not asking for milk yet. Bring more diapers than you think you'll need. Also an extra change of clothes, a couple of towels to lay on the seat for diaper changes, and enough baby wipes to survive the apocalypse because nothing make a baby want to have a major blowout more than the knowledge that mommy has one dipe, two wipes, and no clothes left.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• They usually sleep in the car a lot at that age. Try and leave right before a usual nap time and plan to stop and get out and feed a couple of times on the way.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I took my son to Canada when he was only ten days old (yes, I am crazy, thanks for asking). He was actually fine in the car. At this age they sleep a lot in the car anyway. Plan to leave when you would normally be putting your baby down for a nap, I bet you'll get a good solid start that way. Then just don't stress about stopping as often as you have to.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• at three months I think all youd have to worry about is feeding and diaper changes,she'll most likely sleep majority of the time
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010