how old should a teenager be to babysit a 5 year old? Is 14 to young?

My husband and I have pre-purchased concert tickets and have no babysitter. My son is 13( but I don't feel he is mature enough to watch her yet.....or old enough) and my daughter is 5. My husband says a friend of his has a 14 year old daughter who babysits but I'm worried. I feel like 14 is too young....not to mention I don't know her well enough to know how mature she is but my husband feels it will be ok? Am I being overprotective or is 14 not quite old enough?

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if u know her i would say yes but since u dont i wouldent do it
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When I was 14 I babysat a 2 year old. Of course he lived right next door to me. Why don't you invite her over for a night with you there and let her in charge that way you can see how she gets along with your daughter. Then maybe you'll be a little more comfortable with it.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my 12 year old little sister babysits my 4 year old little sister...however she is very intelligent and mature for her age so i say it depends on the teen
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• when my DS was 2, I would leave him with his 13 year old brother to run to the store for 10-15 minutes. BUT, I would not let his other brother watch him when he was 13 and my DS was 4. That boy was immature and had no common sense.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think I started babysitting at 13. I feel somewhat comfortable with my almost 13 year old watching my almost 4 year old son. We only go to the store and back, but it all depends on her maturity. I agree with colethky. Get to know her first.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I just think it depends on the maturity of the 14yr old...because some are at a lvl that they can handle it and others may not be
    Naija_wifey

Answer by Naija_wifey at 8:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• it depends...now i would so no..and only maybe if you were to get your child tended to and in bed before you go. then all the sitter has to do is be there....but i duno. if it gives you an uneasy feeling i think you should trust your instincts. it is much better safe than sorry.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I was babysitting a 9 year old with ADD, a 3 year old, and a 1 year old when I was 14. I think that, if she's mature enough, she can handle a 5 year old.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• In my state 14 is illegal! Babysitters have to be at least 16 before they are legally allowed to be in charge of another child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• When my dd was a baby we had a 14 yr old baby sit. She was a mature 14,she had 5 younger sybs that she had helped w. I felt very good about leaving her. Follow your "mommy instincts" GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010