SAHM's (Rephrased): Why Pre-K @ 3-4 instead of waiting until Kindergarten?

Thank you to the ladies that responded to my prior question. Just needing clarification. Thanks!

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 8:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is only 2, so I haven't made this decision myself yet, but I'm thinking I will only send my kids to preschool if they seem to need the practice at separating from mommy. My daughter doesn't care, she just tells me bye and goes and plays lol. So I'm not worried about her attending her first day of kindergarten. But if I had a child like my nephew, who cried EVERY SINGLE DAY for the entire school year his first year of school, I would probably think the practice necessary. I might not do full on preschool, but we'd definately practice before kindergarten.

The other reason I MIGHT send a kid to preschool is if I was pregnant and needed a daily nap and they were no longer napping lol (my first trimesters are HELL and spend mostly sleeping... I just can't help it) or if it was my last baby and I decided to enter into a midwifery aprenticeship.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I didn't see your original question, but if you're askign why SAHM send their children to preschool at ages 3+, primarily for the socialization, learning classroom rules, learning to separate from mom and build some independence, learn the basics, and give them a head start in school.

It's also a nice 2 - 4 hour break, 2 - 3 days per week! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It can give them the opportunity to learn school routines and procedures and learn to play and learn in a group environment. It can be helpful to teachers and parents as well as the children. Teacher are often able to tell when children have had the opportunity to be in a class environment (PreK, Headstart, daycare etc.) Children who haven't had those experiences typically have a more difficult time adjusting to the routine and to being away from home and family. Still, I think it should be something a family decides if they want to do or not. Kindergarten can be a good starting place also.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• learning to be away from family. seeing different kinds of families. learning to copy peers. learning to have a primary caregiver as a teacher. the joy of art. new outdoor environment. problem solving. getting into the routine of learning from play at school.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Because my kids wanted to go to school and they liked going to PreK. My 4.5 y/o has a lot of social problems and it will do her a lot of good to be in a school setting before it matters. But, our head start doesn't provide transportation so you basically have to be a SAHM to take your child back and forth.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I want my DD to get used to the school type setting. I think Pre K programs are actually GREAT for that.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I sent my son at 5 to Pre-K because he was not ready to go to all-day K after being home with me for the past 5 years 24/7/365. I did not send him at 3 or 4.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Ok - more for my answer. It was not an easy decision for me to make to send my son to Pre-K, but it was the best decision I ever made. I found a co-op preschool. I was very involved and knew everything that was going on. He learned things in school that I could not teach him at home - sharing, listening to a teacher, learning from and respecting peers. He also learned a lot of things to prepare him for Kindergarten.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I sent my daughter at 4 to prepare her to be away from me and her brother at a school setting. She is smart and was bored with it by the time the year was over but we got through all of the screaming, stuck to mom fits during preschool instead of kindergarten! i will be sending both of my sons at 4 as well.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Why not send them to preschool?  It's pretty much expected that a child attend some kind of preschool before kindergarten.  My 3 girls went but my son never did because we had moved and couldn't afford it for him.  My youngest daughter did preschool last year, 2 days a week for 2 hours each day.  She started at 3 1/2 and went because she begged to go.  She had so much fun and learned so much.

I don't want to homeschool.  If she didn't go to preschool she wouldn't have learned half of what she did because I don't have the patience or the want to sit there and teach her all that stuff.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:19 AM on Jul. 17, 2010