What are your thoughts on this?

Two recent surveys on religious belief found that 61% of Americans believe God has predetermined the course of their life, and 32% of those respondents said they also agree with the statement "There is no sense in planning a lot because ultimately my fate is in God's hands."

katrinad

Asked by katrinad at 8:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• That we have free will , we can change any of it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i look at it like this--remember those "Choose your own Adventure" books. Life it like --that we are given choices.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I agree with fate to a point. I think the path is there,but many choose not to follow it. I'm a believer in synchronicity. 'coincidences" that are set forth to guide you. Who or what is behind it is still up for debate with me.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Nope- I was granted the free will by my creator to choose my own path and make my own choices to determine my own outcomes.

I think leaving it all up to some "pre-determined" source is a cop out- Get up off the couch and make something of yourself and your life!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think if there is a god who has predetermined the fate of each person on the planet, he would be one busy dude. Talk about micromanaging! So many details, so much to plan. . . not a job I'd sign up for (of course, if it were predetermined that I should take that job, what choice would I have?)

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• if that were the case, why is the world in the shape that it's in? lol funny if you think about it. Yes, God wants you to go a certain path. He wants us to follow Him, but he would rather you to choose Him yourself, not follow him because you're forced. which is why he gave us free will.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• that I guess i'm in the minority there, because I don't believe in God.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:23 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Even with a predestined future the tiniest choice may change you outcome.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• God knows the path He desires us to follow... he predestined that but we have the free will to listen to His voice and walk with Him or not to. He knows everything we will do but does not control our choices but often lets it play out. He will step in when we ask Him to and He knows when we will or will not do that too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't believe in god.  While I can't control or predict every little twist and turn that life takes, I can control my decisions and how I react to them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:04 AM on Jul. 17, 2010