What is the best way to get my 5 year old to eat vegetables?

We try getting him to just eat one or two pieces, but he ends up in tears. Not looking to mix it with the food he will eat, but want him to try new things. We've tried taking things away, like evening bike ride or Spongebob, but it doesn't seem to work.

DinoBoysMom

Asked by DinoBoysMom at 12:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Punishing your child because he won't try new foods is just outrageous. He's 5! Really, the best way to get your child to eat more fruits and veggies is to mix them in with other things. For example, I throw carrots into my food processor and then put it in my spaghetti sauces or I chop up cauliflower and put it in macaroni. Terrorizing your child into trying new things and to eat his veggies is going to do nothing but create resentment in your child. Back off it and you should start to see improvement.

Anonymous

• Kids are followers at that age, try getting him around other kids who do like them. Sometimes seeing other kids his age eating them may make him want to try them to.
    Anonymous

• TRY TO MAKE CHARACTOR WITH THE VEGETABLE AND FUITS THEY WILL EAT THEM
    Anonymous

• call brocolli lil trees, cover them with cheese.... or i like glazed carrots, tell him its sweet and he might try them.....mmmmm now i got a craving for carrots....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I wouldn't punish him by taking things away. Only because that in itself could make him just hate the thought of even dealing with a vegetable. I know that bribery is not the best answer but my sons hated vegetables but I would rather see them eat them than use them as floor decor.So I tried bribing with a really tempting dessert or a toy that is inexpensive but probably something they enjoy anyway.
    Momof2boys540

Answer by Momof2boys540 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• MIX it in with their food. Like Hamburger Helper, etc.
    strozilove

Answer by strozilove at 8:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My 15 year old daughter has never liked veggies. Actually she pretty much survives on carbs. Her twin brother loves them. Guess what I raised them the same. Now my daughter is healthy and looks great. I think bribing with dessert is the worst thing you can do and is the way to obesity. Food shouldn't be a reward, or a punishment and it shouldn't be a moral issue. Really unless he's sickly I wouldn't sweat it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• try fresh fruit instead - fruit and veggies have the same nutrients pared by color, in other words- dark skinned fruit has same nutrients as dark veggies, and so on - what 5 year old wouldn't love to have watermelon and cantaloupe or just with their meal - you get the idea. I have done a lot of research on this - my son has a natural diet and i needed to find out anything and everything about nutrition...

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008