Popular Media...

Do you feel the Popular Media portrays your religion/belief system/lifestyle in a good light?
What would you change about how it's shown?
And don't forget to let us know what religion/belief system/lifestyle it is...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The religion of the household I live in.. I've never seen portrayed in popular media here in the states. So I can't really answer the question.

But I am interested in reading what others share.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• media doesn't portray anything in a good light
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Oh oops.... I live in a Sikh household..........

The only thing I've seen on tv in the states that has had SIkhs was the OPB special "Sikhs in America"... LOL
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Very True itsmesteph!! Very True!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Popular media doesn't even know my religion exists, for which I am eternally grateful and hope it stays that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The path that I follow is rarely shown in a positive way thru the media, even if it starts off as a good thing, something or someone turns it into something negative... for example, someone gets into trouble and the media picks up that he/she is Wiccan or a Pagan or a Practitioner(Wiccan/Pagan) opens a store (good news) but then the media will get some of the beliefs/practices wrong and portray
    Wiccan/Paganism a bit on the wrong side...

I am a Wiccan-Witch
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm an atheist and I think all religions and beliefs are portrayed as both depending on the bias of those doing the reporting.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Ummm nope... hardly. If a person harms someone and they are of the more popular religious persuasion... it would read... "Someone was beat last night in a disagreement gone bad"
    If it were a Pagan... it would read "DEVIL WORSHIPPER TRIED TO KILL A GOOD CITIZEN"

Oh, I am a Kemetic Witch ;)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not always. I've seen programs where Christians are held up to ridicule and their belief systems criticized.

OTOH, there are SOME Christians who do act very obnoxious on purpose, and then wonder why they get persecuted.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:42 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Let's just say that any reports on witches are mostly negative--not all, but mostly. And as for atheism--well, the results of a nation-wide poll was that atheists are hated MORE than gays!! At least, neither witches nor atheists have a group like the Westboro Baptist church to give christians a bad name and a big black eye. That is one of the few things I pity christianity for.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010