what do you think of fondant? ever used it? had a bad taste experience with it?

i hear it is gross but i think there must be a trick to making it taste good. i am a cake decorator. not by career but hobby. and i have never used fondant but have recently been wanting to try it. i can see sooo many new things i could do with it. but my cakes have to taste good as well as look good. i am very critical of my work. what are your thoughts on fondant.

sweetestkitten

Asked by sweetestkitten at 9:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have never worked with it. I have, however, tasted it many times. Especially at weddings. One from a worlf famous bakery. It all tastes like nasty cardboard to me. I hope you can find a revolutionary way to make it great. As a medium it is wonderful...it just tastes bad.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have made marshmallow fondant which tastes pretty good as fondant goes. But honestly, the texture is just terrible for a cake. My kids liked eating it like candy when I made it. No one I know likes eating it on a cake, it is very sweet and very chewy. I've never seen anyone eat it and I've never made it again. I find it a waste of time, money and effort. I would rather make a nice, delicious looking cake that can be eaten as is rather than making it look like something plastic. I know my opinion on fondant is not en vogue. I"m a practical type of person usually.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have used poured fondant icing for petite fours and larger cakes that I want to look fancy and it tastes fine. Rolled fondant, however, does not taste good, but it is good for making sturdy decorations to put on your cakes when you don't want to use cheap plastic trinkets or you need your decorations to hold their form for an extended period. Rolled fondant is also excellent for making fancy flower decorations that regular icing, even royal icing, wouldn't work for.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I had a homemade birthday cake that had fondant on it, and it was awful. But it could have been the cake maker.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It looks beautiful and tastes terrible!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have wondered the same thing, recently saw a very cute fondant cake and was told the fondant would need to be carefully peeled off before eating (b/c of the taste). So heres a bump
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i agree with the pp. it looks beautiful. but it is just for looks.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It looks nice and gives the cake dimension, but I prefer icing. It's too sweet for my liking.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Our anniversary cake was fondant, and a birthday cake. It does not have a very good taste, it is mostly for the look.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• what does it taste like?
    sweetestkitten

Comment by sweetestkitten (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010