My two year old just eats the toothpaste...

My 2 year old enjoys sucking on her toothbrush. She used to at least try to brush her teeth but now no way. If I try to do it for her she will keep her mouth open for the fraction of a second that it takes for the brush to enter and then she clamps down and slurps the toothpaste off. She also cant spit. She swallows and then makes a spitting noise. Help!
How can I make sure her teeth are clean? When should kids start seeing a dentist?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did the same thing. I rub alittle of the baby toothpaste in the brush. I dont put it on top like we do for our teeth. I let him "brush" his teeth 1st. Then I add a little more and do it myself. He gets excited because he sees me putting more "stuff" on the brush. Then I move fast. I have a plan before I go in his mouth. They say that the baby toothpaste is safe for them.
    We took him to the dentist and he said that the brushing is more important than the toothpaste. Dr. said that kids dont eat and drink like we do so things come off pretty easy with just water and brushing. Also, he said if I am worried just brush more often but, dont worry about the toothpaste so much it isnt too much difference.
    My son is 20 months and loves to brush his teeth, he watches me and his daddy. He is pretty good, too. I am proud.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• That is very typical. My son does it, and so do and did my niece and nephew. I let my son suck on it, but then I get in there and brush it too every day. He bites down on it. It takes 3 to 5 minutes but I would rather not make it a fight, then that's just problems down the road. I think they have to start going to dental check ups at 3, but I am not sure. The Orajel toothpaste is meant to be used for kids this young, before they can rine and spit.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I started taking my son at 18 months, but that was because one of his teeth came in with a cavity. I *still* fight with him when it comes time to brush his teeth, and he is nearly 6yrs old. Make sure you are using fluoride-free toothpaste if she is swallowing it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have gone so far as to hold my daughter's mouth open so I could brush her teeth without her sucking off the toothpaste lol. I always let her do it herself after I finish, so that's our compromise.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Oh, also we took our son at 16 months and they just did quick check for any cavities and told us to come back in 6 months. Most Dentist wont see kids until they are 2. So go ahead and make an appointment. She is ready!!!
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I just used the baby stuff until they were able to spit. You don't actually need the toothpaste to get the teeth clean, so it's ok that she slurps it off. :)
    They say to take your baby to the dentist once they have their first tooth. My dentist wants to see them at 3 years old.
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010