What do you think of this San Francisco law...

Starting today, Drug Stores like CVS Pharmacy or Rite-aid can't sell cigarettes. Big box stores or grocery store that have a pharmacy in them, like Target, Safeway and Costco, still can.
The reasoning behind this law is that people expect stores that are mainly pharmacies to sell only "healthy" things so if these stores sell cigarettes then people will think cigarettes must be healthy too.
So, a couple of questions...
(1) Are the people of San Francisco so badly educated that they would think cigarettes sold at a drug store are good but the same ones sold at the grocery store are bad?
(2) If drug stores should only sell healthy things, then shouldn't they stop selling all junk food, candy, and alcohol too? All of those will kill you just as surely as smoking will.
(3) Is it reasonable to feel that anything sold at a grocery store is safe to eat/drink/ingest? If so, should grocery stores stop selling cleaning supplies?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• And in case you are wondering how this law applies to you, the flaky laws passed in California tend to spread to the rest of the country. In short - stupid laws are contagious.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think its great...I think cigarette should be oulawed anyway....its a disgusting, nasty, unhealthy, habit and hazardous not only to the people who do it but to the people around them that have no choice but to breath in the toxins they blow out. I was just complaining about this on vacation..I couldn't get a breath of fresh air on the BEACH because of the smokers...So I think the less places to buy them we are all the better for it.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 12:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• The anti-smoking laws are getting riduculous. I think they are trying to phase in a prohibition against smoking in stages. I quit smoking years ago, but I think it's stupid for them to outlaw smoking in bars and such, and as for this new law, well, California is stupid anyway, but that is what you can expect from them and Colorado--all the fruits, nuts and flakes of the United States...
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• it's a stupid law. if they are going to make it illegal to sell cigarettes then it should be illegal every where. I don't smoke never have, but if one place can sell them then every store should have the same right. If the government start choosing who can sell what. and allowing only certaing places to sell an item then it becomes a monopoly.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• All of those will kill you just as surely as smoking will.

no, they won't. furthermore they won't kill those who next to you when you consume them. alcohol and chocolate even have health benefits.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Many view Washington State and Pagans the same way, Pagan Mama.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Ok..haha-alcohol has WAY more disadvantages than advantages...and its not the alcohol that has the advantages...is mostly in redwines and its the antioxidants not the alcohol. But I definitely don't want to argue about it. Everyone has an opinion, and we all know the tobacco industry (in which I live in the HEART OF in NC) is a multi billion dollar industry that isn't going anywhere any time soon.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 12:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No, it's not just wine and it's antioxidants. it's all forms of alcohol.

Moderate drinking is defined as two drinks a day if you're a male 65 and younger, or one drink a day if you're a female or a male 66 and older. A drink is defined as 12 ounces (355 milliliters) of beer, 5 ounces (148 milliliters) of wine or 1.5 ounces (44 milliliters) of 80-proof distilled spirits.

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

* Reduce your risk of developing heart disease, peripheral vascular disease and intermittent claudication
    * Reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack
    * Possibly reduce your risk of strokes, particularly ischemic strokes
    * Lower your risk of gallstones
    * Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• People die everyday in this country from alcohol. Liver failure and other health problems as well as drunk driving. Many of the people killed by alcohol don't even drink it. But it kills them just the same.
    The health benefits of chocolate are slight and apply only to true dark chocolate. How does that apply to an big bag of peanut butter cups? People die everyday in this country from over-indulgence. Heart disease and stroke are just some of the risks.
    Smokers don't have to kill the people around them. They can always smoke in the privacy of their own homes so blaming all smokers for the second hand smoke problems is like blaming all people who drink for drunk driving accidents.

People aren't known for using moderation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Those issues aside, I have several problems with this law.
    Why is it illegal to sell cigarettes in one store but not another? If they are that big a health threat then they need to ban selling them entirely, not discriminate against one type of store.
    Why is it legal to continue to sell other products in these stores that are not healthy for you? Let's assume that all chocolate is a wonderful, life saving food that is 100% healthy to eat - how about all the non-chocolate candy, the chips, the soda? Why is it acceptable to sell those in a store that sells "only healthy things"?
    Why do the people of San Francisco need so much protection? Is there something in the water that destroys the common sense of the average citizen so laws to protect them from themselves are critical to their continued survival?

And no, I don't drink or smoke. I do like peanut butter cups though.
    kaycee14