I am almost out of antibiotics..............

My son has an ear infection and the doctor gave us amoxicillon right? I was told to give them to him a teaspooona and I half for 10 days. The problem is I have only given them to him for exactly one week and they are almost gone! I don't know why I am almost out, I thought they were supposed to give you enough for the number of doses the doctor ordered! What should I do?

LisamomofJames

Asked by LisamomofJames at 10:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• First did the pharmacy give you a complete scipt? Sometimes they don't have enough on hand and will give you some to last for a few days and then you go back to get the rest. This can be easily checked by looking at the bottle. Do you have a refill coming? If so just go get it refill. If not then that suggest that you should have been given enough the first time. Second is you started on the 9th! So that is day one. That means you will be done Sunday July 18th or you will have enough for 1 more dose Monday morning. If you gave him 2 doses on Friday the 9th, then you will be completely done on Sunday the 18th. If he got 2 doses today already, then you should have enough for 4 more doses, maybe 5 depending how many doses he got on the 9th. Another thing to consider is error in giving the medicine, if' it's not absolute prefect then you could have gone through it a little faster then you should have.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• you should only have three doses lef then right? it should last....if not, then call the doctors office back and they can usually fax a prescription for the remainder to your pharmacy.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• call the pharmacy and make sure they filled it right. how many days has it been?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We don't use anti-biotics for ear infections. We use garlic oil with willow. Clears up in about 24-48 hours. I'm just getting over a double ear infections myself. Two days of ear drops and they are fine :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My pharmacy always includes the measuring syringe with liquid medicines for children. If yours doesn't, you should ask the next time. It's possible that the little bit that was left on the spoon over the last 10 days was wasted, which is why you don't have quite enough. Call your pharmacy and ask them what you should do.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Are you sure you measured it right? Its best to buy one of those dosing spoons at the drug store.It wouldn't hurt to call your Dr. and ask if he thinks your son needs more or if its fine to let him go.They are used to calls like that.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I used the dosing dropper the pharmecy gave me. I started them last Friday nigth so then he should have them until Monday night right? He is supposed to get 2 doses a day.
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm assuming that you have it in the refrigerator, seeing it's my understanding that it should be refrigerated, but if you fail to do that it's hot where you are some of it could have evaporated. Mixing @ the pharmcy could have also something to do with it, sometimes they don't mix enough water with it. So it could have been an error on the pharmcy part. Either way seeing you started the doses on Friday July 9th. If only gave one dose on Friday July 9th and 2 doses already today on July 16th then you should have 5 doses left, 2 for Saturday, 2 for Sunday and 1 for Monday July 19th. If he received 2 doses on Friday July 9th and 2 dosed already today, then he should only have 4 doses left 2 for tomorrow and 2 for Sunday July 18th. The script was for 10 days, two dose per day that mean there is only a total of 20 doses!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Most ear infections are caused by viruses, not by bacterial infections. Did the doctor actually do a culture? The antibiotics may not ever be necessary

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I never use antibiotics for ear infections unless we do a culture and it comes back positive. We just use a heating pad, pain reliever (advil), and an otc homeopathic remedy .
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010