Unassisted homebirth

Has anyone ever heard of or done an unassisted homebirth? My sister is planning on having one. She has had regular prenatal care with her obgyn, but she refuses to have a c-section for "no reason". The doc tells her they will not allow a vbac even tho her first c sectio was only b/c she was having twins. She has had other successful vaginal births. What do you all think? Natural for the womans body or inherently dangerous?

mommyof5boys543

Asked by mommyof5boys543 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think unassisted childbirth (UC) requires a lot of preparation, but I do think it can be done safely, and I think that it's a choice that should be respected. I wouldn't have a c-section for no reason either, and simply having had one before is not a reason to have another.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• having a son born with apgars 013~at first I was worried for your sister. I would love to get off the grid and be able to birth like your sister. Having raised a way special needs kid to 18, I would say your sister is wise is all goes well and silly/and full of ego if anything happens to the baby or her is a (negate the thought) tear.

Where does she see herself in 10 years? maybe she should do that 10 10 10 thang (how with this effect you in 10 mins, 10 mos, 10 years or something like that).

did she do that in a past life already?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• um... my opinion is that she should find another doctor that will honor her wishes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's wonderful. As long as she's done her homework she'll be fine. I wish her all the best!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it's horridly dangerous! And I know a woman who's child died because she attempted something similar... I'm sorry, but I would prefer take a c-section for "no reason" and end up with a healthy happy child than attempt an unassisted home birth and loose my child!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I hope she has her will made out because if something goes wrong,she could bleed out before help arrived. Home birth is fine with an assistant.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Homebirth with a CNM or licensed midwife is a reasonable option for a VBAC. Unassisted childbirth is not. She risks leaving her children without a mother. If doesn't matter what the reason for her first c-section, she could have a uterine rupture. If homebirth with a midwife is not an option then she needs to find a hospital that will let her have a VBAC, even if she has to drive 2 or 3 hours.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Im all for Homebirth if there are no risks, but this seems like there is a risk involved.. I think your sister should look for another doctor that WILL do a VBAC. I am sure she can find another with a little time & searching...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I had an unassisted homebirth in April - have a handsome 3 month old baby boy sleeping in bed right now. I also had an unassisted pregnancy (although I did see my holistic chiropractor when needed). I think if your sister knows in her heart this is best for her and her baby and knows what she needs to know she will be fine. If she has any doubts, she needs to meet with either another OB or more preferably a midwife who is willing to do a VBAC. I have never had a VBAC but know enough stats that having one is safer than going for a planned c-section. There are many resources out there and groups here on CM that can help her through her pregnancy and UC.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 11:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Isn't it ridiculous how a woman can't choose what is safest for her (a VBAC) whether attended or not... BUT if she elects for an unnecessary cesarean (Big risks with that!!), then her surgeon (OB) has an easier time agreeing that mom made The Right Choice.
    gah.

Me, I am pro health & safety.

Most moms that I know of who do UP/UC are extremely educated and prepared. Midwives themselves, basically. Since the body is designed to birth without attendants (and has been for most of history), it's natural to be able to do it alone.

I would (will) if I can. I hope to get the opportunity! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:46 AM on Jul. 17, 2010