Does it freak you out when you see a toddler/child playing/loving on a baby?

My DD is 4 1/2 and my sister's baby is 6 1/2 mo. old. My daughter loves kissing, hugging, playing with her. She just loves to touch on her! And yes, sometimes she plays with her head and grabs her nose. I tell her to love her gently! When she does it my mom & sister freak out! So when we are all together, all you here is them telling my DD to stop or be gentle. I don't know why but it drives me crazy! They act like the baby is going to break. But I am not one of these mother's that freak out about everything, I try to be laid back, it is better for the kids! Am I the only one that gets annoyed by this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it freaks people out because sometimes toddlers don't know when enough is enough and how strong they can be. I get on my older DD for doing the same thing to my twin 18 month olds. I don't blame them....a kiss and a hug is ok, but to continually do it, especially to someone elses baby is a little over the top. Try having her just sit by her and hold her hand instead of kissing and hugging or grabbing her nose and stuff.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm with your mom and sister. I don't like when kids are in my baby's face and grabbing her nose and stuff like that. Not that I think they are going to hurt her, but she doesn't like it. I don't like having kids grabbing at my nose. Baby's deserve to have their personal space respected just as much as anyone else if you ask me.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She could ACTUALLY hurt the baby,so I can see their point. A baby is not a toy to be played with. My cousin's older boy-22months-is always messing with his younger brother-3 months-and he sits on him and jams the nuk and bottle in his mouth when you're not looking. Babies should be look no touch until they are at least able tocrawl or walk away IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't let anyone's kid touch my baby. Even if the baby is breastfed there is the risk of illness. The child can hurt the baby. People should teach their kids to leave babies alone. It's rude for a mother to let her child touch a baby even if it is a relative.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My DD is great with babies. She's 21 months old. If she had a younger sibling I'd be a lot like you. She's a very gentle child.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with little ones hugging and kissing siblings/family as long as they are gentle.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It doesn't bother me at all. If the baby isn't unhappy about it, I don't see the issue... If on the other hand the baby gets upset I would tell her to back off... Beyond that I don't see anything wrong with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i get freaked out when my son who is 4 years old touches my friends baby because I know my son doesn't quite know how to be gentle, he likes to play rough and his hugs sometimes chokes me. I know he tries so hard just doesn't know but it still freaks me out.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 10:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Not at all. I think it's wonderful. My dd was 5 when my ds was born and it was always a sweet thing to see her loving on him. I wish she would still oogle over him a little! They don't get along well now at all:(
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 10:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I don't mind at all. We took my 2 month old to DDs daycare picnic to show the little ones. They were loving him. I reminded them to give gentle touches, but all was fine.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010