I have a 13 month old and he still co-sleeps with me ... whats your opinion? Should I move him into his own room?

My husband works at night and so I've had him sleep with me since he was born but now he's starting to squirm, like an little worm, and is messing up our sleep should I put him in his crib? What is everyones thoughts?
Keep in mind I've never been away from my son, I can't leave him with anyone not even to shower, he has very bad seperattion anxity so it might be harder to leave him in a crib by himself.
(oh my and I just had to put him in the toddlers category lol)

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think he's got the seperation anxiety because you've never been away from him. I think it's time...but feel free to keep on going if that's what you want to do. It's not for me, but you have to decide what's best for your child. I say a gradual transition into his own bed and own room if resources are there for that...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a 3yo that still sleeps with me and a 4yo and still sleeps with his dad... I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it works for you and your family.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think it is like a "break up' for them~they really get sad and feel put out. I like the gradual idea and that you might sleep in his new place with him for a while~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think when the co-sleeping becomes more disruptfull than helpful to anyone in the bed is the right time to stop.

You can do a slow transition if you want, having the crib near your bed at first, and having him in there for only part of the night, then work your way up to more hours in the crib, and then moving the crib farther away...it's really your choice for what you're most comfortable with.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It's normal for kids to breastfeed and sleep with their moms until they are 3 years. Around that time you might start asking yourself these questions if your child hasn't weaned himself and moved into his own bed on his own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It boils down to what's best for your family. Will he disrupt your sleep even more by crying at night if he's in another bed? My almost four year old just transitioned into a toddler bed right next to my bed and my almost two year old still sleeps in bed with us. Sometimes after everyone is asleep I'll go out onto the couch to sleep for a deeper sleep and go back into my bed if my little one wakes up and her dad can't get her back to sleep. Do what your heart tells you to do. If it doesn't feel right to you for him to be in another bed then don't do it. There is no right or wrong way to do this. There is no set time line that every kid has to meet. My best friend's son slept with her until he was 6. It was hard and frustrating but worth it. He's a very independent and outgoing little boy. And your son does not have separation anxiety because he's always with you. That's how children at that age act, look it up.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Our opinions don't matter here. We love the family bed, but not everyone is comfortable with this.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• That is totally up to you...the family bed works best for us but most people I know think I'm crazy for doing that but I don't really care what other people think. You do what's best for you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I've been trying to put my toddler in his own bed for a long time but he keeps getting up and crawl to our bed,, I think every family is different but for me, i see it's OK if it happens occasionally not on a regular basis. My child is a rough sleeper, he kicks and move all ways possible while he is sleeping, and I can hardly get any sleep,, I wake up tired almost everday. I think after a long day I deserve some sleep at least.

kissing

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 7:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2010