Question for other parents of ADHD kids

I'll try to keep this short. Oldest son (7) diagnosed ADHD 4/08, put on Focalin XR. Worked great, but in the last month or so, not really. Youngest son (5 on Friday) is in diagnosis process. I do not have insurance, so I have to pay for their meds out of pocket. Oldest has dr. appt this afternoon, and I'm going to talk to her, but I'd like some opinions of some of the other drugs. Please, do not bash for putting them on meds. I have tried everything else, including diet, herbal and other natural supplements, the soda trick, the coffee trick, etc. And if you think ADHD is made up, overdiagnosed, etc., fine, great, but I don't want to hear that please. Just opinions of some of the drugs from parents who have experience with them. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Health

• My son who is 8 is Bipolar/ADHD....so some of the meds they have given to my son will not be just to treat ADHD. But for his ADHD he's taken Concerta, and most recently Ritalin. The Ritalin helped the most, but replacing that with Lithium and Abilify has really helped (But he's Bipolar as well) My nephew is the picture of ADHD, and he's taking Strattera and doing much better than when he was on Vyvanse! It's trial and error mostly with these meds, I know that's not what you want to hear. I wish you luck, and much strength! It's not easy parenting a child like ours!

msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 1:35 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No, that's exactly what I want to hear! I want to hear real experiences with the drugs. See, the med he's currently on is apparently pretty new, and the dr. never told me that when he prescribed it. And now, it's not working, and I don't know if it's that he needs a higher dosage or a different drug or what, so I wanted real opinions of people who've dealt with these things so that when I talk to his dr., if she makes suggestions, I will have something to draw from to say, "well, I've heard this about X drug. Can you reassure me or explain this or whatever?"

Thank you!!
    Anonymous