what are some unique ways you are thrifty?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 10:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• We use the library a LOT. We wait for movies to be released on DVD and then get on the wait-list for them. We borrow all sorts of books and audiobooks. We do a lot of activities there, too. We can even use their PCs or Wi-Fi if need be, and everything is free!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'm the "coupon queen" I can't remember the last time I bought something that wasn't on sale!!

My husband and have kept our little part time jobs--10 -15 hours per week (I have a department store retail job, hubby has a part time job with Amazon) --even though we both have a full time jobs, because of the amazing employee discounts we get--and all stuff that we need for our home and children (on top of sales and discount coupons)!

I'm also pretty crafty and domestic, so I make a lot of meals in bulk from scratch and freeze/refrigerate until needed, we grow most of our vegetables, I sew (drapes, duvet covers, toss pillows, etc), and make my own decorative accents.

I also have a home based business, and since i have a tax ID number, I'm able to buy a lot of things wholesale--basics like shirts,
    sweatpants, decorative accents, candles, costume jewelry, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The one my kids hate the most is that I won't buy spredded cheese. It's just too expensive. I spred the blocks of cheese my self or I make the kids do it. We buy lots of 2nd hand clothes. I hate paying the new clothes prices.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• *shredded* sorry I'm tired.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I am also a " Coupon Queen!" LOL
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• EVERYTHING IN MY HOUSE I THRIFTY....THE ONLY THING WE BOUGHT WERE OUR LIVING ROOM FURNITURE AND BEDROOM FURNITURE.....DD'S BED IS MY DADS BED WHEN HE WAS A LIL BOY AND HER BOOK SHELF WAS FROM A GARAGE SALE ,ALL THE PICTURES AND ART WHERE GIVEN TO ME ....A SELECT FEW THINGS ARE BRAND NEW ! WE DIDNT PLAN FOR IT TO BE THAT WAY IT JUST HAPPENED LOL!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I started making my own cleaners and I save a TON of money...Plus I like that there arent as many chemicals in my house anymore. If you google it, you will be amazed at how many things you can do with vinegar and baking soda. Homemade laundry detergent is my favorite new discovery.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We only have one car and it's paid for. Dh rides his bike and takes a train to work. I don't do any recreational shopping, I stay home and do crafts, read, or garden. We have a Netflix account that is only 9.00 a month. Well worth it for the entertainment.
    janel123

Answer by janel123 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't think that we do anything unique. We don't eat meat; we make many of our own cleaners. we walk or take public transit, we cook from scratch; most of our laundry hangs to dry; we unplug appliances not in use; no air conditioning; keep the heat between 55 and 60; only drink water; cook with a lot of dried beans and lentils; share a costco membership with friends

Answer by rkoloms at 3:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010