in what ways do you reduce, reuse, and recycle?

rileymommy

Asked by rileymommy at 10:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• We reuse all containers that food comes in. We reuse shopping bags. We try to by items that have reusable containers in order to reduce waste. We recycle cans, etc.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We take care of all of our own recycling as our town does not have it curbside. We save all of our paper products in a big box, and the cans, plastic, glass, etc, are put into plastic grocery bags and kept in the garage for the week. Then on the weekend, we drive everything into town and put it all into the recycling dumpsters. We have been doing this for years. My son draws on lots of things that are in the paper recycle, too. We don't even put our trash out weekly because we just don't have enough to bring to the curb.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we use the cardboard/paper egg cartons to start our seedlings in every year, use newspaper in the compost pile, reuse shopping bags, use PETE containers to hold food
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• cloth LL bean shopping bags, thinner bags or paper for produce, wax bags at home instead of plastic for food, save store plastic, compost bin, green pick yard waste bin, buy used clothes when possible, costco washclothes for hand drying, did cloth diapers, go to bed early~

my foot print is still large~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We recycle, even though my city doesn't. We reuse plastic shopping bags and recycle them at the local grocery store. We use reusable shopping bags whenever I remember. We reuse the container that sour cream, cottage cheese and some lunch meats come in. We only buy "NOT FROM CONCENTRATE" OJ.

My son is really serious about being green. He would have wind turbines and solar panels if we could afford them.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I reduce the amount of shopping bags i use by reusing the cloth shopping bags i have.
    I reuse many of the glass jars that food comes in. I reuse some cereal boxes for homeschool projects. etc.
    I recycle anything i can because the city provides recycle services.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• i use the reusable bags now when i do my grocery shopping (eventhough you can recycle the plastic shopping bags here, but now i have more room in my recycling bin for other things lmao). we have the cfl in most of our lights, iam lucky we have single stream recycling here and they accept alot of things. we always have 3x more recycling than garbage. i am going to get a reel mower so ican get rid of my lawn guy..... i have my kids trained when we're out on a walk to pick up trash and put it in the trashcan lol. and if it's a bottle or something we have a bag in the stroller to take recycling home. hope they grow up being good to the earth.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we don't go crazy with shopping, even back to school shopping. we will reuse backpacks, lunchpacks and things if they are in good shape
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• we recycle and compost
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• BF, make own baby food, use aluminum bottle for water (no plastic) turn off light, low-flow toliet, lots of stuff :)))))
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010