what should i expect at my first obgyn appointment?

it's tomorrow and i am thirteen weeks along. my boyfriend is coming with me which is really great. i want him to be in the room if they listen to the baby's heart or do an ultrasound. on the other hand i don't think he needs to be, or would want to be there if they do a pap smear. how do i handle this akward situation? i'm nervous enough as it is!!

babywhatnow

Asked by babywhatnow at 12:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• normally if they do a pap smear they will ask him to leave the room. And if you're 13 weeks they will probably do an utlra sound. Usually doctors are very understading. I had my first ultra sound dont at 10 weeks they asked my fiance to leave the room if he wanted to while they did the pap smear and then went to get him for the ultra sound.
    DMcC

Answer by DMcC at 12:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Your boyfriend has a lot more to come than a little pap so that would be the least of my worries. At 13 weeks the baby is still really little so they will probably have to insert the ultra sound machine into you to see better. Think of in 6 months from now when you're pushing out this baby and there is fluids and blood and baby and placenta coming out of you then think of the insert for a pap and how that is not so bad compared to what he will be seeing. lol. Feel better now?? It shouldnt be awkward. Its exciting doing these things together. He can sit at your head he doesnt need to stick his nose in your vagina while they do it lol. No worries!!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• They never have asked my husband to leave while doign my paps lol
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• They never asked my hubby to leave either. I wanted him in there. I did make him seat up by my head but he was in there with me. He was also in with me at every doctor appointment in the room with me and was in the room with me for both US.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My fiance came with me for my first appointment. I thought it was going to be awkard but it wasn't like he was sitting next to the dr's side. If you really don't want him in there for an exam then let your dr know that he is in the wating room and that you want him there just not for your exam... I dont see why that would be a problem.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 12:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• mine came in for the pap and just held my hand it was not akward and dont be scared he is probably just as afriad as you remember that ask him if he wants to be there
    jparker289

Answer by jparker289 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Let him go he has seen everything already have him hold your hand during the exam that is what I did with my SO.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yeah I totally know what you mean I was nervous and felt akward to for my first vistit with my Daughter but my Dr. did ask him if he wanted to be in there for the exam or he could wait outside the door.....But he did stay and stood right next to me and it was great because he took my mind off of the pap!! (which isn't bad at at all) LIke LovinEveryDay said the pap smear isn't what you should be worried about him seeing its when your having the baby!!! Good luck with your pregnancy!
    se_wifenmom_xy

Answer by se_wifenmom_xy at 1:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008