Is the Tea Party an independent party or a facet of the Republican party?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/republican-party/tea-party-as-the-republican-pa.html?wprss=thefix

How is this supposed to work out? Are they an independent third party or not? They can't have it both ways.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Facet of the republicans. Every single Tea Party supporter I know, or have seen posting, NEVER supports a Dem and always supports the Repub or people to the right of Republicans.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It's (hoping) to become a viable third party...and it's comprised on Democrats, Republicans, and Independents, who simply want our government to be more accountable for all of their spending, reduce he size of government, and adhere to the basic tenets of The Constitution...be of the people, by the people, and for the people!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Pretty simple answer~There is no officially recognized National political party called Tea Party.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There is no "they". The Tea Party isn't one organization.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:02 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• There is no "tea party" as in a political party. There is a Tea Party Nation Corporation which is just one of thousands of different organizations affiliated with the concept of tea parties protesting excessive government spending. The TPNC does not speak for all or even the majority of independent tea party groups around the country.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I didn't read the article...but there are MANY subgroups of the TEA Party--each has a different angle. So the one(s) in the article may be disgruntled Republicans, who do not feel the Republican party speaks for them (which is why I became a registered Independent after the 2008 elections)--but I'm not a member of any of the TEA Party organizations.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• This sounds like it is not a true third party effort, but a branch of the Republican party.

People who attended Tea Party rallies and events were there to show their frustration with BIG Government~all sides (ie: Stimulus, TARP, etc), Wasteful Spending(ie: Stimulus), and other areas of too much Federal Government intervention/Policies/Proposals (ie: Health Care) with little accountability. Tea Parties began by Libertarians some time ago. Tea Party Rallies were NOT established to become an official 3rd Party, but more of a venue to show frustration towards Big Government.. What the future holds? Who knows. Certainly NOT the Washington Post, lol.... Many Tea Parties do not even allow position holding Politicians to speak, because they want to remain non partisan. Others do not.  It's up to the ind. Tea Party...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Grly, I noticed you posted something earlier that was an op-ed. I didn't discredit this outright simply because it was. Can you try to not shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message? I found similar articles from many other sources, but this one was most succinct and short winded. Sorry if it wasn't on your approval list.

I didn't discredit it.. I gave my opinion of a tea party.  Did you assume the tea party was an actual 'organized' party when you chose this article and asked this question?  So giving MY opinion of the purpose of the Tea Parties originially~ [and that I do NOT think the WAPO knows diddly about the Tea Party], is shooting the messenger????... Interesting.. Thanks for the FYI.. ;o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• pswifey, you can edit your choices to get notifications on something easily enough...just click the edit button beneath it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:36 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The tea party people are conservatives from the republican, democrat and independent parties.

They believe in smaller government, cutting spending, and following the constitution.

It just that far more republicans believe this, and the progressive wing of the democrat party believes in just the opposite..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2010