If you have a child w/behavior problems,are they in any after school activities?

My ds has some pretty severe behavior problems and would like to do an activity. I would like him to be able to do something. He wants to do karate,What do you think? He is 6 and has ADHD and is very emotional.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 10:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you considered home schooling. Kids with "problems" may do very well home schooling. My son has bipolar disorder. We home schooled and he was involved in sports and scouts. Karate may not be a good idea unless it is a very good school. He may go around doing karate on everything.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My son had ADHD and Asperger's. He's been taking Karate for 4 years. He loves it!! At first he had a lot of trouble listening but then something clicked and now he's quieter than I've ever seen him, he stands still and listens too! Before he started karate his therapist recommended it because of the discipline you learn, she said that kids with ADHD really benefit from taking it!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Woops....I should of said my son HAS ADHD....
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Well, I homeschool my son (both of them actually, but only one has behavior problems)
    And i have him in Gymnastics and Swim Lessons. He LOVES the swim lessons.
    After Swim Lessons are over i plan on enrolling him (well, all of us) in martial arts.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think Karate would be a great idea.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Kids with "issues" DO NOT NEED TO BE KEPT AT HOME FOR HOME SCHOOLING. There is no need to hide them from the world. Karate is excellant for kids with ADHD. I would check out the facility and inform them that he does have this, so they need to be patient with him. Once he learns his boundries he will do fine in school, activities and in life. My son has ADHD and the book 1-2-3 magic worked miracles for all of us. I suggest you google it. It saved me a lot of stress
    G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My son has ADHD. He is in cub scouts, swim lessons and kennel care. We tried karate and it didn't work for us. My son would wonder around the studio and he just didn't pay attention. He wasn't into it. But my neighbors son is in it and he loves it. He is doing very well in karate.
    I would see if you could bring your son to a karate studio and let him see what they do. Let the teachers explain what they do.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 7:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my son has severe bahavior problems to i got him into kick boxing and he loves it best thing i ever did he got his first belt couple of weeks ago hes not has angry or frustrated any more
    marie511

Answer by marie511 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I have a son with behavior problems as well (at 7 he has already been suspended once and almost expelled) we go to church and have got him involved in the church more with us and we have also started looking into private schools where he could be in smaller class sizes.
    mommatink83

Answer by mommatink83 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Martial arts can be as can any structured activity depending on the COACH... my son has been on soccer (great for ADHD b/c its constantly moving.. although practice can sometimes be diff.) ceramics, gymnastics, swimming, judo etc.
    Its always depending on the coach, sensei etc how it went.
    Btw, baseball is not a suggested sport for our kids b/c its too much waiting for something to happen which is why I like soccer and swimming and now he wants to try basket ball... something that keeps him moving.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:38 PM on Jul. 18, 2010