What do you do during the summer to keep your kids busy and not watch TV or play on the computer all day??

Asked by Autumnlover68 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are some great books at the library for ideas. I love to flip thru the book called 365 things to do other than watch t.v. It has craft ideas and activities for all ages. Heck, just going to the library is a good thing to do for a break in tv time. Outings are always my kids favorties..even if it is visiting a new park to explore...just have fun. That's what summer is all about!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My kids like to play outside in their sandbox and swingset...we also go for walks, bike rides, and to the park and they absolutely love that. It's fun to go to the lake and swim too..there's a lot of different things you can do in the summer!

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We got a trampoline and the kids love to jump on it and just love being outside. We love taking walks to the park too!

Answer by AmazonMoMX2 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• kinds of stuff !

Answer by roseisme at 8:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have an 11 year old girl. Here's what I did:
    Bought one of those temporary pools (4ft.deep); invite friends over at least once a week for a day and/or a sleep over;make homemade snacks together (like cookies, granola); read books together and seperately; go hang at Barnes and Noble; eat lunch together while watching one of her favorite game shows;go biking;take her with me to run errands; send her to camp for a week;send her on vacation with my mother; send her to her other grandmother's for a few days; scrapbook/photo taking; bowling with her or take her with her friends. She will start soccer at the end of July two nights a week.

Answer by manna1qd at 8:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• we play outside, draw with chalk, I enrolled my eldest in swimming, little gym day camps and vacation bible school

Answer by cougarkristi at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• OOOOOooooWe love summer!!! Swimming,sprinklers playing on the trampoline going to the park and zoo and fishing:)

Answer by Chris127 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We watch way less Tv in the summer. We are always outside playing, swimming. We also visit the library, go on walks, bike rides, take classes (swim, etc). I also have the kids work on work books and practice reading everyday.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 9:46 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• For my kids I do an hour of "school" with them. Where my son works on writing his name and alphabet and my daughter works on drawing shapes and counting. Then we'll learn about something fun like volcanoes and make a paper mache volcano. Or things similar to that. We live in an aparment right now so the kids don't have much of an outside area to play in so I take them swimming or we walk to a local park and pack a lunch. Also make crafts.

Answer by crazymomma05 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I coat them with sun block and let them play outside in the evenings, when it's started cooling off. I take them to the library once every week or so and let them pick a few books to read. We play hide and seek bear (I hide one of their teddy bears somewhere in the "safe" areas of the house and they go hunting for it). We have popsicle eating contents (they always win...I HATE popsicles LOL). We also walk to the park once a week. We try to stay active, and I insist on them playing in their rooms after they get their 2 hours of tv.

Answer by tinandril at 11:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008