pumping and work?

i will be returning to work when my son is 6wks old(ish) and i want to breastfeed only...this time around(this is my 2nd) i feel like im well educated on breastfeeding how to...only thing is i have no idea what to do when i go back to work. (my employer is on board and a BF mother herself) what was it like when u returned to work? did you have set times to BF or did you just take breaks when you had to? im looking for any good tips... my son isnt due til aug 4 by the way so i dont know yet if he will take to BFing

april262009

Asked by april262009 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a teacher so I had a hard time finding time to pump...I did it during my lunch and my prep but some days those were back to back so luckily I was able to switch a few classes around so that I could pump 2x a day. It was hard b/c I spent all the time I usually used to plan my lesson and check papers pumping but I didn't let it stop me. I just had to bring home a lot more work than I usually did. You will find a schedule that works best for you. I would make sure to start pumping and freezing milk a few weeks before you go back tho so you have a good supply for those first couple days. I also found it very helpful to have an electric double pump. I used the medela pump n style and it worked very well for me. Best of luck to you! There are groups on here for moms that have to pump...you could join to get more tips and advice!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I just took breaks to pump when I needed to - usually twice a day.

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My daughter had never had a bottle. So several weeks before I returned to work I began pumping and collecting milk. I left the room and let my husband give her a bottle of breastmilk which confused her a little. She was looking around for me and didn't quite know what to do at first. But she eventually took the bottle. He gave her one bottle a day until it was time for me to return to work. I always left the room to make it easier for everyone. This way she got used to taking bottles before she had to be with the sitter.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010