Should I just tell her to turn the stove off?

A friend of ours who is homeless is over at our house right now and she is a vegan. She has had our stove on for over an hour and I can't take the heat in our tiny apartment any longer. Her food isn't done but I am getting really pissed she decided it was ok to turn the stove on to medium for hours and hours to cook her beans and now our house is over 100 degrees!

LisamomofJames

Asked by LisamomofJames at 11:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Wow, I can really feel for you!

I'd suggest, if she comes over again, that you stress she can cook lentils (take 20 min to cook) or canned beans because of the heat. Tell her nicely that you don't use your stove much in the summer and tell her why. You've opened up your home to her but she should respect the fact that it IS your home and as such YOU have certain standards or house rules, and one of them is not using the stove very much when it's hot. She is a guest and does not pay the bills. Guests should respect house rules.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• shit fire..take over~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Huh?
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think that because you offered up your home to her, you need to suck it up until her food is done. Can you open a window?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She didn't ask to use the stove. She walked in as soon as i opened the door and turned it on. This wasn't a problem in the winter but we don't use the stove in the summer much for this very reason!
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Seriously, why can't she just use the microwave?! LOL!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She believes it kills the nutrition in food to use the microwave. She will only use the stove and the oven to cook food slowly.
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sorry to bother you ladies with this but I am starting to feel dizzy.
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010