Hotel stays with children?

We are planning a four-five night vacation stay for next spring. I am a planner, so I am starting on things now. Do you have experience with staying in adjoining rooms and/or two room suites while traveling with your children? My kids will be 3 and 9 when we travel and we are trying to decide what might be the better option. Any opinions, suggestions, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Travel

• Ours are 5 and 8 and we just get a room with two queen beds and have them share one. It's a little tight for us all because my husband and I are used to a king, my 5 year old is used to having a queen to himself, and my 8 year old is used to having a full to himself. At 3 and 9, I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that. I might get a room with two queens and reserve a rollaway bed. At 9, I wouldn't want my son having an adjoining room yet.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:12 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'd go with the two room suite. That way, you don't have to worry about them sneaking out, loosing their room key, and not locking or latching the door. Get the rolling bed and have them take turns on that and the 2nd bed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My husband is suggesting the adjoining rooms, because that is what he and his parents always did. He said they never were tempted to do anything stupid, but that was a different kid, about twenty years ago. They always kept the room latched from the inside and the adjoining door open during the daytime hours. But I am not so sure on it. I like the idea of a two room suite better. I know that the four of us in one traditional room wouldn't work unless we got a sofa and a roll away bed in a queen room. My husband is 6'7" and hasn't fit on a double bed since he was 17. I love him, but his size makes traveling a pain!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Comment by Mom1Stepmom1 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• The only time we have stayed in adjoining rooms was 3 yrs ago. The kids were 2, 7 &9. I don't think we even closed the door all the way at night, but only because there was a little corridor before the could get into our room. The kids did fine (until the baby got an ear infection but that would have been lousy anywhere.)

Generally we travel on a budget and cannot afford a second room. We always get at least queens, and kings when possible. And when it is just the kids and I we do a girls bed (dd sleeps with me) and her brothers get the other bed, or one sleeps on the floor.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:10 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Ours is 3, so naturally he stays in the room with us. I would personally not do an adjoining room at 3 & 9, but they are yours, so whatever your preference is. I just think it's too young.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• at 3 & 9 they can stay in the same room as you and share a queen size bed. now if they were teenagers I would get them their own adjoining room.....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:26 AM on Aug. 12, 2010