Going on a week-long vacation with daughter who has never slept anywhere but her crib...how do I prepare her?

My 2 year old has been sleeping in a crib since she was 5 months old. She takes all her naps in the crib, and every night is spent in her crib. How do I prepare her to sleep in a motel in a different crib (or bed, if they have no cribs)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• We really thought this would be a problem with our daughter. She had never slept anywhere but my bed and her crib. We put her in the little pack and play style crib the hotel offered and she slept like a log. Perhaps because we had had such a big day. But, you could get a pack and play for her if you can, have her take naps in it, if she still does and then take that same pack and play with you maybe? Or get a nap pad, you can get them at Target or Walmart. I think JC Peneys carries them as well. Maybe if she gets comfortable with that at home, you could put that in the crib or bed with her, and it will be a transitional type thing.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Talk to her about it. Buy books about traveling. Play games that you are sleeping in other places.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You'll be surprised at how adaptable kids are. Your daughter will be excited at first about sleeping in a different place, but eventually will calm down. Put her in the middle of the bed and put pillows around her. Bring her favorite sleep items (and don't accidently leave them behind because that would suck). She'll be fine, really.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• it's going to somehow hard at the begining (every child is different), but I suggest you try to explain it to her, maybe put her in your bed for one night or so,,,

Good luck
    mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 7:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2010