Have you ever taken the time to research your family history?

I don't have a real family tree, I have a step-ladder; so I'm not sure how to go about checking my family history ... I guess I would start with the side of the family who is actually blood related to me, right?

SouthernLady7

Asked by SouthernLady7 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know where the majority of my family (families) come from. The church my mother grew up in (I was only there for a brief period, then we moved away, then when we came back we attended a different church, but anyways) Well, that church did the history of the town. I am from a small German, Irish and English Catholic community in PA. The book I have gives about 3/4 of my ancestory. So out of my 4 grandparents, I can trace 3 of their blood lines back in that book, back to Germany and England. Mostly Germany. And to me, that is awesome. Makes me proud that even though I am from a small town, I know where I came from. And even though everyone knows everyone, it's nice to know who I am. I married someone from Pittsburgh, with no chance of distant relation LOL And his family is all over the place and not nearly as close knit as mine. But start with your blood relations, your grandparents are the best to start with!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Start looking names up on rootsweb (it's the free portion of ancestry.com). You may find someone connected to you that's already researched your family and get more names you don't know that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I wish I could. Because of adoption and death, I don't have anyone to research. Our family is so broken up, it was a surprise when my sister had twins and I found out that I have a genetic disorder. No one is really left in our family and I don't know where we came from.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• my great uncle did.. and then gave it all to my papa.. it traced back to a few hundred years either before christ or after.. i forget.. but it goes a LONG ways back.. and then when my papa died, my aunt took it, and now nobody but her will ever see those records again without putting in another couple of YEARS worth of research and a lot of cash..

so I guess the best I got is the tiny one in my baby book now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Nah, my cousin is the genealogist in the family. I don't even have the patience. And I'm not that interested in my family to begin with, LOL. For DH, his mother does it for both her side of the family and his dad's, and DH helps her with the research and he's been building a website for it. They are working on putting a book together for the paternal (his dad) side of the family. They've got some pretty interesting family history.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I did the 23 and me genetic test and I have people emailing me saying they are my 4th and 5th cousin and they have branches of my tree all done. I'm a maternal haplogroup H1 and my adopted dd has a H3~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have no clue who my family is we were left in Colorado at a social servicecs building.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010